Where can I find data on dimensions of stars?

• 1 Replies

Offline cjohnson

• First timers
    • View Profile
« on: 08/09/2011 09:01:04 »
Christopher Johnson  asked the Naked Scientists:
   My name is Chris Johnson from West Virginia in the US.†

Love your show - and all the other naked scientist podcasts.  I have a question, and as I am a mathematician and don't know any astronomical physists, I would love your thoughts.

I did my master's thesis on weighted alpha shapes and persistent homology.  Basically, this is where you take a 3d point set, each with a radius, and build a triagulation.  You then use Persistent Homology to find the number of components, tunnels, and voids in the structure.  This has been applied to images (removing noise) and to proteins. 

I have written the software to compute these structures, and I am interested in applying this type of analysis to stars.  With a dataset of a region of stars and using the mass of the star as the weight, I can show where there are disconnections, tunnels, and voids in the gravity of a region of space.  I am curious to get physists opinions on the benefit of this.  What kinds of questions might you ask, having this type of information about a region of space?

Also, I am not sure where to find a complete database of all the stars in a particular region with their position, diameter, and mass.  I have looked at a few online, but the ones I found so far did not have complete and consistent data.

I appreciate your time, and I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thanks,
Chris Johnson
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 08/09/2011 09:01:04 by _system »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08/09/2011 10:22:41 »
I wish I knew - your project sounds fascinating if a little daunting.  If I notice anything that might help I will let you know
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n