Windows 8

• 8 Replies

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Windows 8
« on: 18/09/2011 10:43:08 »
Is anyone using windows 8 yet ?
It seems very Geek unfriendly you just cannot seem to get inside it and DualBoot-pro dos not recognise it so the only way to switch into the disk where it lives is via the BIOS which is rather cumbersome.

« Last Edit: 20/09/2011 06:43:01 by syhprum »
syhprum

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: 19/09/2011 09:56:48 »
I didn't realise it had been released yet - what's the status of the build, is your version anywhere near release?
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/09/2011 10:28:46 »
Take a look here it is a comprssed ISO that will load from the same USB dongle that I use for windows 7

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
syhprum

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/09/2011 10:47:44 »
thanks - I managed to get myself in no end of tangles when I installed a preview of Win7, so I will probably resist for a while (but only for a while).  to be brutal my pc is prob too old to run it
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/09/2011 13:12:17 »
Windows 7 runs OK on my sons 5 year old Dell lap top with 512Mb memory
I suggest you put it on a separate hard drive
« Last Edit: 19/09/2011 13:14:50 by syhprum »
syhprum

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/09/2011 16:47:30 »
Windows 7 runs OK on my sons 5 year old Dell lap top with 512Mb memory
I suggest you put it on a separate hard drive

My problem is that the pc I use for work (and to muck about with things like this) has only one hard drive and no expansion capacity.  I can hang a usb drive off it (and I do - nice tb drive with all my photos and music) - but the tiny form factor means no space for a separate physical drive, and other option tend to end in tears.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20/09/2011 06:42:11 »
My I suggest you visit your local recycling depot where you will find many scrapped computers and no doubt could find a larger case into which you could transfer the internals of your computer.
syhprum

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Windows 8
« Reply #7 on: 20/09/2011 09:48:54 »
My I suggest you visit your local recycling depot where you will find many scrapped computers and no doubt could find a larger case into which you could transfer the internals of your computer.

The staff at the council dumps don;t seem to be willing to look the other way while you climb around in the bins anymore [:(]
imatfaal - you could look on Freecycle or Gumtree as an alternative.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Windows 8
« Reply #8 on: 20/09/2011 09:59:37 »
Freecycle seems a really good idea - will investigate