Were fires started with flints?

• 3 Replies

Offline colarris

• View Profile
Were fires started with flints?
« on: 30/10/2011 10:09:09 »
 From my school days I'm pretty sure we were told that cavemen/women used flints to start fires and yet I tried the other day and all it did was splinter and crack(??) Is there more than one type of flint?
« Last Edit: 31/10/2011 15:23:48 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Were fires started with flints?
« Reply #1 on: 31/10/2011 09:55:31 »
I've never actually started a fire with natural flint & steel.  However, old flintlock guns used to use flint stones and iron to fire the gun.

Everything seems to indicate that with flint & iron, it is actually the iron that is creating the spark.  See this article.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/flint-and-steel-what-causes-the-sparks

So, your choice of iron might be more important than your choice of flint or quartz.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/10/2011 10:46:16 »
I think ancient man used friction (and tonnes of patience) to light fires - and they will have become very adept and made sure they kept fires well stoked in circumstances where lighting would be difficult.

I have, after watching hours of ray mears, managed to get a fire alight with just a few sticks and a piece of string; but as it took me best part of a few hours and left me clobbered, I think I would need a few lessons on technique before it would serve me well in the wilderness.  I used the a vertical piece of wood, pressed into a notched hole below and held steady from above with a stone, and then with a wooden bow with the string wrapped around the vertical rod I turned the rod back and forward.  When you get the rod working properly you get a pile of red-hot embers in the notch and these will ignite a bundle of tinder
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/10/2011 14:14:48 »
It would have made flint knapping to create tools/ arrowheads a much more hazardous occupation!

Flints from different areas will have slightly different properties, but I don't think there is more than one distinct type (unless you include chert, of which flint is a subtype associated with chalk and  calcic marls)

I suppose if you had a lump of haematitie it might work (although the haematiaite might be a bit soft or overly oxidised...