Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Why is graphene so special?
« on: 08/03/2012 18:48:01 »
ben.park asked the Naked Scientists:
   Hi,

There has been a lot of coverage in the news recently on the supermaterial graphene. What makes it so special and what are its possible applications? Could it be used to construct a space elevator for example?

Great show! Thanks

Ben Park
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 08/03/2012 18:48:01 by _system »

Offline annie123

• View Profile
Re: Why is graphene so special?
« Reply #1 on: 08/03/2012 19:54:21 »
Wikipedia and many other sites on Google will tell you - but i wrote to Andre Geim and he sent me a copy of his article from The International journal of modern Physics
Volume 25 #30 Dec. 10, 2011
'Random Walk to graphene" which gives his Nobel lecture - I guess you could get it from the Nobel site too. This gives a pretty good overview of the whole thing.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2012 20:03:38 »
The way it's layered make it very special. You can lift it off one atomic layer at a time quite easy, so you can get it very 'small'. and graphene leads electricity better than metal. Sometimes it's called 2-dimensional, referring to that the atoms are 'naked', one layer thick only which creates very special 'motions' if compared to the way a metal share its 'free electrons' in a 3-D environment, layer on layer. And you can manipulate that '2-D' layer by chemicals making into as small 'logic circuits' as we ever will be able to make classically.
"BOMB DISPOSAL EXPERT. If you see me running, try to keep up."

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2012 10:57:37 »
Wikipedia and many other sites on Google will tell you - but i wrote to Andre Geim and he sent me a copy of his article from The International journal of modern Physics
Volume 25 #30 Dec. 10, 2011
'Random Walk to graphene" which gives his Nobel lecture - I guess you could get it from the Nobel site too. This gives a pretty good overview of the whole thing.

Very cool - both to just sit down and write to the prizewinner himself, and of him to reply with a decent response.  I am gonna try that - I wouldn't have dreamt of just writing and asking a question to a nobel prize winner, but when I think of it mine is a very silly attitude.  Cheers
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n