Why do humans get wrinkles on the face first?

• 5 Replies

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« on: 17/06/2012 00:30:01 »
Olatunji asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Chris,

Thanks.

Olatunji

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 17/06/2012 00:30:01 by _system »

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
Re: Why do humans get wrinkles on the face first?
« Reply #1 on: 22/06/2012 05:58:05 »
Probably because of high solar exposure.

Offline Lmnre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2012 03:50:06 »
I don't know how true this is (due to a lack of specimens and baskets  ;) ), but in Benjamin Franklin's Advice to a Young Man on the Choice of a Mistress (1745), he states:

5. Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficiency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest Part: The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever: So that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one.

source

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/07/2012 04:22:14 »
That is an interesting theory, heretofore unheard of by myself. It appears there are things I do not yet know.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/07/2012 06:44:26 »
I would wonder if the face is what a person notices, but the wrinkles are also occurring in other places such as on the hands.

It may also have to do with the thin skin around the eyes, and a significant amount of movement of the facial skin with blinking the eyes, facial expressions, eating, and etc.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/07/2012 07:12:33 »
my hands and arms were the first to wrinkle... my face has been the last but I am not a sunbather..so less exposure to my face..more to arms and hands traveling in car or ouside under tree or a hat with no sleeves or sunscreen..They loose moisture badly and being dehydrated does add seriously to the lack of soft supple unwrinkled skin...

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."