0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
........cause them to expire through various toxic ways which are not going to affect humans and other animals and mammals.
Metaldehyde & methiocarb are the active ingredients in slug pellets. The former causes the slug to swell and the later causeís damage to the mucus cells resulting in the over-production of mucus. Death is the result of dehydration.Both these poisons are dangerous to other animals........... can and do result in direct poisoning of non target animals and indirect poisoning of non target animals is only too common. Dogs, cats and even horses have been known to ingest these pellets, causing anything from slight to severe illness and even death.The pellets may be ingested accidentally by grazing or intentionally for the cereal based carrier.......... Run off can lead to poisoning of streams and ponds.See this report in the ...sorry, you cannot view external links. To see them, please
REGISTER or LOGIN.In higher animals (including humans), these molluscicides can cause skin, eye and mucus membrane irritation by exposure to the vapour and dermatitis and conjunctivitis with long term or repeated exposure. Ingestion can cause kidney and liver damage severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever, convulsions, and coma. Other problems related to these poisons are increased heart rate, panting, asthma attack, depression, drowsiness, high blood pressure, inability to control the release of urine and faeces, incoordination, muscle tremors, sweating, excessive salivation, tearing, cyanosis, acidosis, stupor, and unconsciousness.The biggest problem with slug pellets is their effect on wildlife. The dead or dying slug may become the prey of Hedgehogs, frogs, toads, birds etc. By taking a poisoned slug or snail, the predator inadvertently ingests the poison and may well suffer the consequences. The decline in the Hedgehog population in the UK has already been partly attributed to the ingestion of poisoned slugs and it is certain that other wild animals, frogs and toads in particular, are also suffering the same fate.......