How do black holes affect neutrinos?

• 3 Replies

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
How do black holes affect neutrinos?
« on: 04/10/2012 01:36:14 »
From what I understand, neutrinos tend to ignore pretty much everything. I think Dr Karl suggested that a wall of lead a couple of dozen light years thick might be enough to shield them.

So what about black holes? Are they just as susceptible to gravity as photons?

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: How do black holes affect neutrinos?
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/2012 14:43:37 »
if neutrinos have mass they must follow 'geodesics'. In those cases where they aren't found to have mass you must ask yourself if they have a 'energy'. If your answer is yes then they must follow a geodesic too. As for if a black hole interacts gravitationally with the rest of the universe I would say, naturally they must :) If they didn't, there would be no paths towards them, and neither would they attract any matter, if that was what you meant Biz?
"BOMB DISPOSAL EXPERT. If you see me running, try to keep up."

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/10/2012 23:39:04 »
I can see the original post was a tad unclear. sorry. [:(]

What I was wondering was that if neutrinos are such weakly interacting particles, and can go through the Earth as if it wasn't there, then surely it would have a weaker interaction with gravity, and therefore a weaker interaction with black holes.

I realise it isn't possible for them to have a weaker interaction with black holes than photons could (unless you use faulty cabling  [;)]) but I was just trying to get my head around why?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2012 16:02:12 »
I would have to assume that as they have mass, neutrinos would be affected by the gravity of a blackhole just like any other form of matter.  The reason they go through earth like it isn't there, is that they do not react/interact/bump any of the charged particles that make up the earth.  I would guess they speed up an infinitesimally small amount as they approach and slow down as they leave due to the action of gravity.
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n