• 9 Replies

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
What is this fish?
« on: 09/10/2012 16:17:45 »
Hello Everyone

Took a few pictures a couple of days ago of a fish swimming around the harbour just beside the taverna I was seeking refreshment from.  It was a strange looking thing and I wondered if anyone knew what it was - it might be frightfully common, but I thought it was a just a bit odd!

Any ideas?

[attachment=17099]
« Last Edit: 17/10/2012 08:40:03 by chris »
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's my Fish?
« Reply #1 on: 09/10/2012 16:23:38 »
and a different photo

[attachment=17097]
Thereís no sense in being precise when you donít even know what youíre talking about.  John Von Neumann

At the surface, we may appear as intellects, helpful people, friendly staff or protectors of the interwebs. Deep down inside, we're all trolls. CaptainPanic @ sf.n

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/10/2012 16:31:44 »
And a bit more detail.  This was in about 2 foot of water, in a very sheltered harbour on the island of Naxos in the Kyklades, in Hellas. 

The colour has reproduced fairly accurately although the clever clever camera/windows live import settings has seemed to enhance the actual solidity of the fish.  It was about 12-15 inches long and moved fairly quickly.  I could not get close - When I tried to scramble down the the rocks it disappeared for a good 10 minutes.  These photos were taken from a good 10 feet away with a zoom lens and then cropped and quality reduced to fit in 128kb limit

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/10/2012 16:32:55 »
have you tried http://www.ispot.org.uk/

it is fantastic for this sort of thing!

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/10/2012 16:41:08 »

No I hadn't - never seen it before.  It looks great and I will definitely give it a whirl.  I will hope that the regulars here get the fish before I get around to posting at Ispot

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2012 16:46:16 »
looks quite like the unimaginatively named "needle nose fish" ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenentodon_cancila

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/10/2012 18:34:57 »
I think you put me on the right track RD - the wikipage you mentioned had links to the European Garfish which I reckon is the candidate of choice at present

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/10/2012 16:44:45 »
A higher contrast version of the above photo ...

[attachment=17107]

« Last Edit: 11/10/2012 16:53:20 by RD »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #8 on: 16/10/2012 11:24:32 »

I think that site is only for species spotted in the UK.

I agree with RD, this is a Garfish.
If brains were made of dynamite, I wouldn't have enough to blow my nose.

Offline Lab Rat

• View Profile
Re: What is this fish?
« Reply #9 on: 24/10/2012 15:39:20 »
I agree, too.  It is some type of gar.  I have seen them swimming in the river before-actually, right by the shore, same as you.