Is anyone interested in nothing?

• 3 Replies

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is anyone interested in nothing?
« on: 03/10/2013 15:40:33 »
Nothing is the intriguing theme of the latest book from New Scientist, to be published on
7 November. Take zero, a critically important number to our modern world with a difficult birth. Anaesthetics that take our consciousness to the brink of nothingness. Or the nocebo effect, where just a few words can kill.

Discover more by joining the team from New Scientist and our panel of guest speakers (including Marcus Chown & Helen Pilcher) for an entertaining evening of amazing insights into nothingness:

When?
Wednesday 13th November from 6:30pm - 8:30pm (doors open at 6pm)

Where?
Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London, WC1R 4RL

Tickets:
10 (inc. booking fee & copy of Nothing book) in advance from NSnothing.eventbrite.co.uk
or 10 on the door if available (not including book)*.
There never was nothing.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone interested in nothing?
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2013 22:19:43 »
Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London, WC1R 4RL

The baptismal font of lost causes! What splendid irony. Have a great evening - wish I could join you.
helping to stem the tide of ignorance

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2013 02:16:36 »
Have a great evening - wish I could join you.

I'm not sure I shall be going.  Should I have said "nothing would make me go"? :)
There never was nothing.

Offline webplodder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2013 10:01:48 »
It depends what you mean by 'nothing'. Even if you removed all the atoms from a sealed container it would still retain dimensions and space, which is not really nothing. Ultimately, I would say that nothing is in the eye of the beholder inasmuch if something can be represented by a concept it is not nothing but is, at least, an idea. For example, mathematical ideas are not physically real yet are real ideas, so that they are not 'nothing'.