Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Is chocolate like an antidepressant?
« on: 14/07/2014 14:24:56 »
Asked by Iqra Asad

Visit the webpage for the podcast in which this question is answered.

[chapter podcast=1000726 track=14.06.20/Naked_Neuroscience_2014_06_1002406.mp3]  ...or Listen to the Answer[/chapter] or [download as MP3]

« Last Edit: 14/07/2014 14:24:56 by _system »

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2014 14:24:56 »
We answered this question on the show...

Next question, I think this leads on rather nicely.  Does chocolate have an anti-depressant effect?  In my experience, eating half a bar or even sometimes an entire bar of chocolate can make me feel much happier.  Are there any neurochemical basis for that?
Martin -   Yeah.  I mean, chocolate raises blood sugar levels quite dramatically and [img float=right]/forum/copies/RTEmagicC_Cakes_in_the_office.jpg.jpg[/img]quickly.  That increases glucose delivery to the brain which is basically fuel to the brain among other nutrients.  So, if you give the brain a short shot boost of one of its essential fuels and you can enhance the brainís happiness I guess.
Katie -   We often hear reports of all sorts of wonderful qualities of chocolate which we all love to be absolutely true.  Actually, there's a review that was done by (Hocker)(7
« Last Edit: 14/07/2014 14:24:56 by _system »

Offline tkadm30

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
Re: Is chocolate like an antidepressant?
« Reply #2 on: 31/05/2016 10:59:15 »

Yes. Chocolate contains anandamide, a natural antidepressant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anandamide
The bliss of ignorance is deeper in the region of tyranny.

Offline Dandinael

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Is chocolate like an antidepressant?
« Reply #3 on: 21/11/2016 14:46:01 »
Chocolate makes you feel better both mentally and physically. It is not a coincidence that companies are offering their clients quality chocolate pralines at meetings etc. For example, I personally love the Belgium chocolate and it makes me feel relaxed everytime Im eating it :-)
« Last Edit: 21/11/2016 22:58:01 by Colin2B »