0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
I heard a case long ago about a person who was struck by lighting and had a burn right down his front, but with a two inch gap in it where the current had run through the metal strip in a banknote. This led me to wonder if having a small amount of wiring in clothes would save lives. There may be a danger that it would make you more likely to be struck, but that's probably a marginal difference, and if you are struck it would stop the current running through your heart, which is the main killer.
keeping it away from your heart would provide the biggest gain
golf club ... the rounded metal head providing a perfect object for the strike to land on. Lightning conductors on buildings are sharp so that they repel lightning
Quotekeeping it away from your heart would provide the biggest gainI agree that this is important for avoiding immediate death, but I have heard that people have suffered considerable neurological problems for many years afterwards.
The "skin effect" means that rapidly changing (high frequency) currents create magnetic fields which tends to concentrate the current on the outside of a wire. I assume that the same would apply to human bodies too, tending to concentrate the current in the skin, rather than the heart.
Quotegolf club ... the rounded metal head providing a perfect object for the strike to land on. Lightning conductors on buildings are sharp so that they repel lightningApparently, there is considerable debate about whether rounded or sharp is a better shape to attract lighting.
I expect that advertising "Lightning resistant clothing" would create a significant legal minefield.
Even if it reduced injury & mortality by 90%, you would still "lose your shirt" to the other 10%.
Wearing lightning resistant clothes is likely to produce risky behaviours which may increase the chance of being struck by an order of magnitude - enough to offset any protection provided.
There are also many many paths by which you could be struck... We tend to think of getting hit on the head, with exit through the feet... But people have also been sheltering beside a treetrunk, and lightning finds a human a lower impedance than a treetrunk - and so they get struck on their back
There is the umbrella/golf-club scenario where the bolt enters via the hand
There is earth potential rise, where a nearby lightning strike causes a very high voltage between your feet, so the current flows in one foot, and out the other.
I seems the idea was popular in France a while ago.http://tpefoudre-wimshurst.pagesperso-orange.fr/Lhomme_et_la_foudre_a_travers_le_temps.html