Optical output and Luminens?

• 6 Replies

Offline Samnang

• First timers
    • View Profile
Optical output and Luminens?
« on: 24/06/2015 21:44:22 »
I am confused about laser optical output and luminens. Is there any relation between the two?
Also, what is the maximum laser optical output that won't damage anything, not even paper?

Thanks

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Optical output and Luminens?
« Reply #1 on: 24/06/2015 22:07:45 »
damage will depend on the intensity, the frequency (color of light) and the target it's interacting with (the color and stability of the target)

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/06/2015 07:50:53 »
A lumen is

the SI unit of luminous flux, equal to the amount of light emitted per second in a unit solid angle of one steradian from a uniform source of one candela

However since the output of a laser is usually monochromatic and non-divergent, it is generally more convenient to quantify it as for radiofrequency or microwave radiation, either in watts (for the whole beam) or watts/square meter for the part that actually hits a target.

Lasers are classified for safety purposes based on their potential for causing injury to human eyes and skin. The class of a device depends on its maximum and average power and also its spectrum. In general a Class 1 laser is unlikely to damage anything, whereas Class 4 is unlimited and includes cutting machines and weapons. 
helping to stem the tide of ignorance

Offline Samnang

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/06/2015 15:44:17 »
Thanks and sorry for late reply. And I have another question. Suppose a white light laser can be obtained by combining Red, Green and Blue lasers and I shoot it thru a transparent color glass(1/2, 1/4 red per example, what color will I get? Or can a manufacture company such as Rosco produce Permacolor Dichroic Filters with 1/2,1/4 etc.. of the Red, Green, Blue?

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/06/2015 22:45:04 »
Thanks and sorry for late reply. And I have another question. Suppose a white light laser can be obtained by combining Red, Green and Blue lasers and I shoot it thru a transparent color glass(1/2, 1/4 red per example, what color will I get? Or can a manufacture company such as Rosco produce Permacolor Dichroic Filters with 1/2,1/4 etc.. of the Red, Green, Blue?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, and whether a laser would be the best way to test this...

You could also effectively generate a "white" laser pulse by producing a femtosecond laser pulse that is broad enough to cover the visible region.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrashort_pulse
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=44748.0

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/06/2015 00:29:55 »
Combining RGB lasers is effectively the same process as generating a color TV image from a 3-gun CR tube. There are a few commercial systems in existence.
helping to stem the tide of ignorance

Offline Samnang

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/06/2015 14:51:32 »
I saw some laser light show on Youtube and their combined light from red,green and blue laser has only a few color which is far from 16 million colors. Also, I came across this review about how Sony came up with laser color schemes for its VLP projector.  But I still don't understand how they get 16 million color. I understand only how to mix red,green and blue to make any one of the 16 million color in graphic programming.

newbielink:ftp:// [nonactive] newbielink:http://www.ravepubs.com/sonys-new-laser-technology [nonactive]