0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Many smelly organic chemicals are flammable, so if they pass by a flame, they are likely to be broken down into non-smelly chemicals like H2O and CO2.
if even half the air in the room had been through a candle flame then half the oxygen would be missing from the air.You would be dead
Quote from: Bored Chemistif even half the air in the room had been through a candle flame then half the oxygen would be missing from the air.You would be deadI agree with this as a statement of chemistry, but not as a statement of physics.A 100g candle, with an average composition of CnH2n will consume all the oxygen in 1.2m3 of air (according to my rough calculations). The rate-limiting step is melting and wicking the wax into the flame.But if 0.0001% of this air consisted of smelly volatiles, far more than 1.2m3 of air would pass by the flame in the course of convection. Any volatiles in this air heated to flashpoint would be combusted, and the amount of oxygen consumed would still be 1.2m3 of air.So you would be no more dead than just burning a 100g candle - but the room might smell slightly different (but not necessarily better!).