0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
My impression is that it is a mixture of a few facts with a lot of misunderstandings/distortions mixed in with it.heating clean liquids in microwaves can be dangerous, as you can get areas that are much hotter than other areas, to the point that they can be heated above boiling point, but have nowhere for the bobbles to form until you tip them up, add a spoon etc. when it explodes. You are unlikely to get the problem of baby milk exploding (unless you really overheat it) but I would make sure you give the baby milk a good stir/shake/mix before you check the temperature to even out any hot-spots. I think these hot-spots can also reduce the vitamin content of the food slightly by overheating bit s of it, but if it is a choice between vegetables in a microwave or no vegetables I would go for the microwave every time.I wouldn't want to heat up blood in a microwave, as some areas will get overheated and start to clot/die, so it is not surprising this caused problems.His physics is dodgy as both microwaves and normal light are both AC, the only difference is that microwave energy is analagous to laser light and all the waves are moving in step where as normal light is random, but this won't have the effects he is talking about.I don't think there is enough energy in microwaves to directly rip molecules apart, I think most of the changes associated with them are due to heating stuff up.Being exposed to microwaves is a bad thing - they can cook you, but I don't think it is much worse than this
As Dave suggests, microwaves are not ionising radiation. In other words, the wavelengths used (about 12cm) are of insufficient energy to break chemical bonds. This means that microwaves are not mutagenic.