What causes "fingerprints", and why do we all have different ones?

• 5 Replies

Offline Aware

• View Profile
How is it that we all have different fingerprints?  I imagine that it is related to genetics.  Is it also related to environment?  What about identical twins?  Do they have different fingerprints?
« Last Edit: 18/02/2007 13:20:54 by chris »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
 That's a good question.. I would not have thought about that! Injuries and scars change them also so environment is definitely something I would say would have an impact on your prints later in life..  not necessarily at birth!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
it is theorized that the finger prints come from the fetus rubbing his/her mother's womb.

now heres my question:  How do all of the fingerprints get the same design on the fingerprints if that theory is true.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it is against my moral code to attack the unarmed.

he's back!!!!

no, my name is not Bill Nye

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Humm, I never heard that one before... interesting.

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Hey, I found this stuff,
good for a 'non-expert'
reader(like me).
Enjoy!

ikod

click here:   http://www.johnnyfincham.com/history/dermatoglyphics.htm

« Last Edit: 08/02/2007 13:21:16 by iko »

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Thats a pretty interesting web site!

basically, identical twins do not have identical finger prints. finger prints are a phenotype, which is the result of a genotype (the DNA) and interactions with the environment.

I expect identical twins may have more similar finger prints than non-identical twins, on the ground that the DNA is identical, so they start from a common point. I guess it depends on quite how much influence the environmental factors have.