Natures Light Bulb----Ball Lightning !!..is it real ?

• 6 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Peeps Of Science Fun & Luff,

Does ' ball lightning ' really exist ?

If so ...what is it ?..how does it come to be ?..

I have stories of it floating down an airplane cabin.....or just being a stagnant ball shaped of intense light !

Hugs, Shmishes..THANKS

« Last Edit: 11/09/2007 14:34:26 by neilep »
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/2007 14:33:16 »
Just BTT'ing  (Bring To Top) this thread in case anyone now after 8 months has thought of an answer !!

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 11/09/2007 17:17:15 »
ball lightning does exist, it can be produced by a standard lightning bolt hitting the ground, soil can be energized and send out a small ball lightning with the characteristic phosphorescent green color.

http://www.endeav.org/evolut/text/ball/ball.htm

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2007 17:21:29 »
THANK YOU so much Paul.

Amazing !

(facetious mode)

I particularly enjoyed this equation  [;)]

seriously, thank you very much.

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 11/09/2007 17:23:46 »
I particularly enjoyed this equation  [;)]

it's one of my favoutites...

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #5 on: 25/06/2011 16:45:45 »
Hi Neil et al,

This last week the weather has been a bit "interesting" with small dark clouds and very localised and heavy showers...
Last Saturday (18 June 2011) late-lunchtime I was walking through the fields near the Gog Magog hill to the south of Cambridge. I was about a mile from the Gog Magog at the time, and there was a very dark patch of cloud over/behind the hilltop. At 13.20BST, I noticed out of the corner of my eye what looked like a spherical ball of white light above the hilltop. I say "white" but it was slightly creamy-white, ie a cooler colour-temperature than daylight. Immediately it disappeared and left behind a plume of white smoke which then dispersed over a few seconds. There wasn't any normal lightning going on, nor any rain as far as I know - but some very dark clouds.

I honestly don't know whether it was an instantaneous flash of light, or whether it had been there for a few seconds before I noticed it. But it definitely struck me as being circular/spherical rather than a point source - I'd say it subtended and angle about half that of the sun or moon (when I was about 1 mile away) but given the "horizon effect" which makes things near the horizon seem bigger, it might have been a bit smaller than that.
I did hear a thud a few seconds after the flash/light disappeared (and then another a few seconds after the first) - but given the bird-scarers in the area I can't be sure that the sound was related!
I think I saw the light/flash solely out of the corner of my eye -  don't know if this might affect my perception of what I saw. I looked directly at the smoke though.

I got to the hilltop half an hour later, and there was no obvious evidence that anyone had been messing about with fireworks of any kind! I suppose it could have been something launched from a mortar-tube - which I guess would give two bangs; one when launched and one when it exploded in the air. But I still think that had it been firework it would have looked like a point-source rather than a ball...?

I also found this which bears some similarity to my experience:
http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf067/sf067g16.htm
« Last Edit: 25/06/2011 16:47:49 by techmind »
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"