Could honey be bad for our gut bacteria?

• 2 Replies

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Could honey be bad for our gut bacteria?
« on: 06/06/2016 10:50:02 »
Guster Flannegan  asked the Naked Scientists:
   Hi,
I have a question about honey. I understand that honey, particularly Manuka honey, has antibacterial properties. Much is championed about the health benefits of honey, but I was wondering, might honey actually be detrimental to our health?The reason I ask is, there is a lot of "friendly" bacteria in the gut and I wonder if any research has been done to know if this bacteria is negatively affected by antibacterial honey?
Thanks,Guster "Gus"  Flannegan

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 10:50:02 by _system »

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
Re: Could honey be bad for our gut bacteria?
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/2016 22:02:40 »
No.

Actually in contrast, honey's oligosaccharide content makes it useful as as a prebiotic.

Kajiwara S., Gandhi H., Ustunol Z. Effect of honey on the growth of and acid production by human intestinal Bifidobacterium spp: An in vitro comparison with commercial oligosaccharides and inulin. J. Food Prot. 2002;65:214218. [PubMed]

Sanz M.L., Polemis N., Morales V., Corzo N., Drakoularakou A., Gibson G.R., Rastall R.A. In vitro investigation into the potential prebiotic activity of honey oligosaccharides. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2005;53:29142921. [PubMed]

Erejuwa O.O., Sulaiman S.A., Wahab M.S. Oligosaccharides might contribute to the antidiabetic effect of honey: A review of the literature. Molecules. 2011;17:248266. [PubMed]

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Could honey be bad for our gut bacteria?
« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2016 00:19:59 »
As an antibacterial honey is best used raw on the infection - only use medicinal grade. Once it is heated or diluted the effect is reduced so it is unlikely to survive the stomach acids.
and the misguided shall lead the gullible,
the feebleminded have inherited the earth.