0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Although they do have some built in protection against weak local RF interference, a magnet would interfere a lot as its fairly strong in comparison.The magnetic interference on the signal could cause some parts of the circuit to oscillate when they shouldn't causing a possible overload on some components and premature failure. Bee
The magnet can cause an unwanted frequency shift in the oscillators coils and inductors that work in the RF band.
A magnet will not induce oscillation itself but will have an affect on those parts that already are oscillating as Seany has already mentioned, his phone goes wild. Mind you, he didn't mention if this affected the sound or reception at all. The magnet can cause an unwanted frequency shift in the oscillators coils and inductors that work in the RF band. If the shift was large enough and not calculated for it could cause a higher current drain in parts and damage to components. Mobile phones are very sensitive, operate at high frequency RF and if I remember right its the lower frequencies that require more power. So, suddenly changing from a high freq and low drain to a low freq and high drain could damage component that are not designed for it.Bee
Well, the sound part. If I manually slide my phone up, it makes a sound that it is turned on. If I manually slide my phone down, it makes a sound that it is slid down.If I hover the magnet towards it, it makes the turning on sound, even though its not slid open. If I hover the magnet away from it, it makes the sliding down sound, even though it remains still.
Hmmm... Oh.. So when the phone slides up, a magnet attached to the slide mechanism is detected by magnetic sensors, which tells them whether it is slid up or down?
Sounds to me like there might be some magnetic sensors used to detect where the cover is, and they are being fooled by the external magnetic field.
But isnt there a magnet in the speaker of the phone? Why doesnt that magnet wipe out the memory?
So how strong would it have to be?
Quote from: Seany on 30/05/2007 17:44:04So how strong would it have to be?do you have an old tape recorder? look how small the magnet is that deletes/records on to the tape, it is pretty small.to wipe or corrupt a flash drive, i think a fridge magnet could do the job if place on to it. i will try and wipe some memory sticks with magnets when i get home.
Do try - I will be interested in the result, since flash memory is supposed to be an electric charge device, unlike a tape recording, which is a magnetic recording device.I would also add that the erase head on a tape recorder is not only extremely close to the recording media (actually in contact with it), but actually uses an oscillating magnetic field rather than constant magnetic field you would get on a permanent magnet (I am not saying that the tape would be impervious to a constant magnetic field, but is more susceptible to an oscillating field, so the deletion can be done more completely, and with a lower flux, than would be necessary with a permanent magnet).
Then i sat them on a speaker magnet, no change with the usb flash drive. sd card corrupted.
If you had a really strong magnet then you might damage the magnet in the earpiece/speaker and permanently reduce the volume and/or cuase distortion. A really big magnet might literally pull things apart inside the phone.