Why is it so hard to often accept good compliments about ourselves ?

• 16 Replies

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
 I know for me this is a tough one which extends further then just low self esteem into self hate. Over the years I blamed myself for things that happened to me as a child. I think even now that I have overcome some of those things, that were embedded in my head, that I still have a long way to go before I am able to make the adjustments to my own self image in order to accept certain things as true about myself. I especially have  hard time with compliments about my character.. Is this because I still don't like myself, because for the most part I do like myself but I don't understand what makes our brain do this!

How about you? How do you Handle compliments? Do they make you feel uneasy?

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
i get complimented on my eyes all the time. it makes me blush. it's not like i did anything to make them like they are. i like to earn my compliments

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am very uncomfortable with them.. Even tonight all the nice things on th card I told you about.. touched me so much. It is just hard to acknowledge that people could feel that way about me.. It is very weird... I don't mind the ones like wow great doll furniture you made .. Those I can handle its the personal ones that take breath away and really make me almost shy away!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
I don't have a problem accepting compliments. Well, it happens so often I've become accustomed to it  [^]
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
 You deserve them..LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
They look good on you anyways! HEE HEE HEE!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
& they don't make my bum look big!  [:D]
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
ha ha

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
No they don't! Turn around here doc let  me check em out for you... hmmmmmmm look pretty nice Lookin Good, doc looking good! LOL

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
No they don't! Turn around here doc let  me check em out for you... hmmmmmmm look pretty nice Lookin good doc looking good! LOL

[^]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
HEE HEE HEE!!!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
What lots of you people said. LoL.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
NO FAIR..LOL I have done a couple times!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Sorry, but you all answered it for me. LoL.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
LOL>> well we shouldn't have done that must be a boring thread!

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
I am very uncomfortable with them.. Even tonight all the nice things on th card I told you about.. touched me so much. It is just hard to acknowledge that people could feel that way about me.. It is very weird... I don't mind the ones like wow great doll furniture you made .. Those I can handle its the personal ones that take breath away and really make me almost shy away!

Eh? What "card"?

I'm modest, i find it hard to accept compliments.

Paradox.
Nothing is absolute. It takes a thousand people to make a stereotype, only one to grind it into the dust.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
All the wonderful parents of my kids at school sent me a card with truely wonderful lovely things in it.. things they said about my absense in the school and just a really nice bunch of things made me cry... to think I might not get to go back ...I already miss them horribly and it has been over a week.

Those compliments they sent were beautiful and humbled me.. I am embarrassed and don't understand why.. that's all... Also very touched by their card and gifts.. They are wonderful.. I miss everyone of them..