The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Nasty animals  (Read 19789 times)

Offline Claire

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 81
    • View Profile
Nasty animals
« on: 08/07/2004 22:59:53 »
The Blue-Ringed Octopus

The Blue-Ringed Octopus is another one of the smaller, but more deadly marine animals that inhabit the coastal waters around Australia. The direct bite from the blue-ringed octopus is usually painless,  but the deadly effects of the poison will be noticed immediately. The poison apparently interferes with the body's nervous system. The victim will immediately experience numbness of the mouth and tongue, blurring of vision, loss of touch, difficulty with speech and swallowing, and paralysis of the legs and nausea. If the victim does not receive medical treatment immediately, full paralysis may occur within minutes, followed by unconsciousness and death due to heart failure and lack of oxygen. There is no antivenom for the poison from a blue-ringed octopus. It is usually necessary to perform continuous CPR on a victim until the effects of the venom have subsided. This may take several hours, but it may mean the difference between life or death for the victim.


 

Offline Claire

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 81
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2004 23:03:43 »
The Sea Wasp

The Sea Wasp or the box jellyfish is one of the most deadly stinging animals in the sea. The sea wasp has a large transparent body shaped like a box or a bell, that can be as large as a bucket, and can weigh as much as five pounds. A cluster of 16 long semi-transparent tentacles stream out from under the bell of the box jellyfish. Millions of stinging capsules cover each of the tentacles. The stinging capsules discharge lethal poison into the skin of any creature that touches them.  Children who have been stung by the sea wasp have died within minutes of being stung.

....found these on some Australian website
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #2 on: 08/07/2004 23:49:08 »


I wouldn't want this biting my arse ;)

Nice topic Claire.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
 

Offline Exodus

  • Phileas Fogg
  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1471
  • Geology
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #3 on: 10/07/2004 03:44:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Claire

The Sea Wasp

The Sea Wasp or the box jellyfish is one of the most deadly stinging animals in the sea. The sea wasp has a large transparent body shaped like a box or a bell, that can be as large as a bucket, and can weigh as much as five pounds. A cluster of 16 long semi-transparent tentacles stream out from under the bell of the box jellyfish. Millions of stinging capsules cover each of the tentacles. The stinging capsules discharge lethal poison into the skin of any creature that touches them.  Children who have been stung by the sea wasp have died within minutes of being stung.

....found these on some Australian website



Interestingly Claire, the most deadly of all the box jellyfish is also the smallest. Irukandji are almost impossible to see and are the most likely to kill you. Luckily, box jellies are found seasonally on the coast so the waters at the moment (winter) are fairly safe.
 

Offline Exodus

  • Phileas Fogg
  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1471
  • Geology
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #4 on: 10/07/2004 03:45:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Claire

The Blue-Ringed Octopus

The Blue-Ringed Octopus is another one of the smaller, but more deadly marine animals that inhabit the coastal waters around Australia. The direct bite from the blue-ringed octopus is usually painless,  but the deadly effects of the poison will be noticed immediately. The poison apparently interferes with the body's nervous system. The victim will immediately experience numbness of the mouth and tongue, blurring of vision, loss of touch, difficulty with speech and swallowing, and paralysis of the legs and nausea. If the victim does not receive medical treatment immediately, full paralysis may occur within minutes, followed by unconsciousness and death due to heart failure and lack of oxygen. There is no antivenom for the poison from a blue-ringed octopus. It is usually necessary to perform continuous CPR on a victim until the effects of the venom have subsided. This may take several hours, but it may mean the difference between life or death for the victim.




Is there a Red-Ringed Octopus and does it eat curry?
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #5 on: 10/07/2004 13:35:20 »
.....maybe a Blue-Ringed Octopus turns into a Red-Ringed Octopus after it's eaten a hot curry !

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
 

Offline Claire

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 81
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #6 on: 10/07/2004 16:08:28 »
...which then becomes a Loose-ringed Octopus the next morning!!

 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #7 on: 10/07/2004 16:44:46 »
.....I know how that Loose-ringed Octupus feels Claire.....I had a curry last night and today....well...it just feels like there's a butterfly orgy in my tummy and the ensuing consequences are obvious........oh !!..my poor bummy !!!.......(sorry...don't mean to imbue nasty images ......well.......maybe !! *snigger*)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
 

Offline Claire

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 81
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #8 on: 10/07/2004 18:24:10 »
no need to worry about conjuring up nasty images Neil - we can already find the real thing on the rate my poo site!
 

Offline Exodus

  • Phileas Fogg
  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1471
  • Geology
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #9 on: 12/07/2004 17:00:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Claire

no need to worry about conjuring up nasty images Neil - we can already find the real thing on the rate my poo site!



I still can't believe what an aweome site it is... wish i had come up with that idea!:(
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #10 on: 12/07/2004 19:26:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Exodus

quote:
Originally posted by Claire

no need to worry about conjuring up nasty images Neil - we can already find the real thing on the rate my poo site!



I still can't believe what an aweome site it is... wish i had come up with that idea!:(



There are others too Rich ...There's 'Rate My Boner'...'Rate My Implants'...'rate My Man Boobs'....and a few others !!:D:D

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
 

Offline Exodus

  • Phileas Fogg
  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1471
  • Geology
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #11 on: 16/07/2004 21:19:49 »
I'll have to have a look at some of these little beauties!
 

Offline Limpet chicken

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #12 on: 11/12/2004 01:43:41 »
The venom of the blue ringed octopus actually contains the same toxin as that found in the deadly puffer fish, that some japanese eat as a delicacy, under the name of fugu, the venom, tetradotoxin is also reputed to be the active substance voodoo priests use to put people into a state of almost suspended metabolism, allowing them to be dug up later, and forced into slavery, giving rise to the myth of the zombie[8D]

Non omnis moriar, tenebris e lumen.
 

Offline Limpet chicken

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #13 on: 11/12/2004 01:47:16 »
Another interesting killer animal.

The long nosed chimaera, I would upload a picture, but I am not sure of how, there are pics on google though.

It is a wierd gelatinous, pale looking fish, with a curled up trunk of a snout, an abyssal fish living at roughly 6000 meters deep, and it has a venomous spine on its back, sort of like a stonefish, and could quite easily kill somebody except for the depth at which it lives, by the time you stepped on one, your body would most likely be crushed like an egg by the water pressure[:0]

Non omnis moriar, tenebris e lumen.
 

Offline mad maXX

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #14 on: 08/02/2005 21:45:00 »
hello i mad max whoa great white
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Nasty animals
« Reply #14 on: 08/02/2005 21:45:00 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums