The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Knee Problems  (Read 4536 times)

Offline mikelovesgod

• First timers
    • View Profile
Knee Problems
« on: 18/10/2004 03:16:29 »
I was reading about prolotherapy in another post and I don't know much about people who have succeeded or failed with such therapy. I have also read about some doctors who use growth hormone to strengthen knees as well.

Does anyone have any insights on good therapy for knees? I am 28 and have serious problems because of my short career playing pro tennis. Now all I have is bad knees to show for it.

Thanks,
Mike Solimanto

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
Re: Knee Problems
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/2004 02:45:54 »
Hey Mike, or anyone  else reading

I don't know anything about prolotherapy but have suffered from a bit of knee trouble myself and can sympathize.

Anyway, I recently went away to a tournament, before which I had been having a fair whack of trouble with my knees and ankles. Just before i went away and during the time I started taking something which claims to help maintain joints etc. The fields we were using were a little sandy, but for the most part a lot harder than what I am used to. During the whole tournament, which lasted 3 days and we played at least 3 games a day, I didn't suffer any of my usual problem with knees or ankles. The only problem I had was when I smashed my knee into a particularly hard part of the ground, come to think of it that knee is still bruised a good 2.5 weeks after.

I don't know if it would help you but if you are interested I'll find out what it is called and can get you some details.

Tim

Offline Diva

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2004 16:12:29 »
I would definitly like to know what it is =)
Diva

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2004 02:21:22 »
Ah shoot! Just realised I forgot to reply. If you have a look at my profile and send me an email I'll get back to you over the weekend or when i get a moment.
cheers

Tim

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2004 07:34:47 »
Locally, at Oschner Hospital, the docs there harvested cartilage cells from a knee, grew them, and reinjected them back into the knee.  Supposedly the technique was successful.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2004 07:34:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums