The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does 'Time' goes faster?  (Read 11400 times)

another_someone

Re: Does 'Time' goes faster?
« Reply #25 on: 02/05/2006 10:38:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laith
Obviously I know how to start a new topic, you really didn't need to go in detail that much, ill try to look better through old threads next time, or start a new one.

Sorry, didn't mean to patronise I agree, I should have remembered that you have started enough topics of your own but in my case, my brain was just in the process of still waking up (at least, that is my excuse).

George

Offline Roy P

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13/05/2006 22:40:50 »
God, I just *love* this thread! It's given me a pleasant evening of reading and mulling over the theories. It's some time since the profoundness of the Special and the General Theories actually hit me. But when it did, it was one of those 'Kennedy' moments. You have to put aside all those preconceptions you've built up about matter and time and look at it from a completely new perspective.

Great stuff!

Roy P

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20/05/2006 14:32:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sandwalker

Don't get me wrong some of the old colleges (now uni's) are very good and should be in the A List, but over here we are still snobs, an Oxbridge Degree (Oxford/Cambridge) is still considered best.

But Cambridge is, of course, the best of the bunch! :D

Brand new forum at
http://beaverlandforum.y4a.net
More than just science

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21/05/2006 03:43:52 »
quote:
From these tenents, we have a number of surprising results.
a. Distance is not conserved, it can contract.
b. Time is not conserved, it can dilate (slow down).

There is also 1 more consequence that is very important: Distance and time can not only contract and dilate, they actually interconvert into one another, meaning that what to one observer appears to be a time interval between 2 events in the same place, will appear to another to be a time interval AND a difference in position; and likewise what to one observer is a distance separating 2 events which happen simultaneously, will to another appear to be a distance separating them, as well as a time interval between them.
quote:
As to why it doesn't go backwards... according to Minkowski, that's the way it goes. The dimension is -ict. Time flows into the past at the speed of light.
In quantum mechanics, this is not so: time can move either directione equally well. The apparent irreversibility of time seems to have to do rather with the way we observe it, as affected by the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

quote:
Of course this immediately begs the question as to why time can't be reversed, whatever reference direction we choose to start with. I suppose the answer is that would require faster-than-light travel.

Now black holes are a different story.
Well, as I understand relativistic gravity, time slows as altitude decreases. For a very large body it slows considerably as you approach the center in a quasi-stationary manner, and in the case of a black hole, stops entirely at the event horizon. However, the event horizon does not necessarily have a zero diameter, meaning that one can proceed further than that. That suggests that on the other side of it, time runs backwards; however to be sure of that conclusion we would have to examine the equations describing a black hole to see whether they are "well behaved" or singular at the event horizon, and I am not familiar with these.
quote:
and doesn't the fact that if light cannot escape a black hole say there is a force that moves faster then light? Otherwise how could it capture it.
No; your sink drain which is percieved as at rest, is effective to capture water that is moving.

Offline king5118

• First timers
    • View Profile
Does 'Time' goes faster?
« Reply #29 on: 27/10/2010 10:27:37 »
Time is there because we put it there. It is there so that we can measure our activities in relation to day and night. It has been adapted over many years to be used in all areas of measurements but it is really a human invention to simplify our lifestyle. Time doesn't flow, it moves forward as a mechanism of our thoughts. We use it to measure but we should really be concentrating on distance and not time. We could still travel over distance if there was no light (hypothetically speaking of course) and even though we couldn't see we would still be going somewhere. Does this still involve time?

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Does 'Time' goes faster?
« Reply #30 on: 27/10/2010 15:32:22 »
Having worked my way (slowly, as befits my years)through this thread I find it seems to confirm a conclusion I came to some time ago.  We are all moving through spacetime at the same speed - the speed of light.  I am still wrestling with the problems that arise from that conclusion. :-\

The Naked Scientists Forum

Does 'Time' goes faster?
« Reply #30 on: 27/10/2010 15:32:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums