The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: gases  (Read 2951 times)

Offline kellybett

• View Profile
« on: 04/01/2005 14:22:13 »
please could you help me?
I am working on a new project and would like to know in order, what gases first formed in space after the orginal, Hydrogen.
Please inform me of any other relevant information or websites you are aware to help me in my search.:)

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
Re: gases
« Reply #1 on: 05/01/2005 16:42:02 »
Primordially, hydrogen, 75%, helium, 25%, and lithium traces were formed. I don't remember the isotopes. These elements are still observable in nebulas today. After that stars transmutted hydrogen into heavier elements through supernova events.

Offline anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2005 14:51:02 »
Elements heavier than iron are products of supernovae (pl?). This is because of the limitations of the fusion reaction, I'm not the best person to explain this from first principles. But essentially in fusion reactions lighter elements are brought together to make heavier elements. There is a net gain in energy up until reactions which produce iron, then fusion requires energy to make anything heavier. The amount of energy required to make much of elements heavier than iron is easily found in a supernova explosion. The grand scheme of things also means that elements heavier than iron are more prone to fission, the process of gernating lighter elements and energy. Where the energy comes from in all of this is in the strong forces between subatomic particles, essentially iron is the most stable arrangement of subatomic particles.

I think this is all factually accurate, but it's my A-level physics and that was a long time ago.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2005 14:51:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums