The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: God real or not  (Read 234251 times)

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: God real or not
« Reply #25 on: 21/02/2006 12:06:59 »
I think that there is a difference between irrational judgements that are a product of society and therefore alterable, and those that were divinely inspired 2000 years ago and therefore, the truth, the absolute truth and nothing but the truth, and therefore one is right in doing anything to promote these truths, and they can't be tempered with new information.

another_someone

« Reply #26 on: 21/02/2006 14:10:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts

I think that there is a difference between irrational judgements that are a product of society and therefore alterable, and those that were divinely inspired 2000 years ago and therefore, the truth, the absolute truth and nothing but the truth, and therefore one is right in doing anything to promote these truths, and they can't be tempered with new information.

At a theoretical level, yes; but in practice, there is much less difference than the theory might imply.

Religion creates a legal framework, no different from the secular legal framework of the land.

Just as the secular legal framework can use historic precedent, and can claim rights going back to the Magna Carta, so too can religious law claim a continuity with the past.

Just as lawyers keep reinterpreting the secular law, so too do religious groups keep reinterpreting the religious law.

I would agree that religious legal reinterpretation moves slower than secular legal reinterpretation, but it is a matter of degree rather than a true difference in nature.

George

Offline G-1 Theory

• View Profile
    • http://edward-e-kerls.com
« Reply #27 on: 21/02/2006 16:02:09 »
Dear Tony;

"Science" is what we are talking about here, to me science is the study of just what our cerater did at the begainning of time!!!!

And the creator is my "God"

Edward E. Kerls

"Learn the facts and go on from there, and never stop asking questions."

Admiral Rickover

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22/02/2006 14:21:10 »
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW you people sure do post looks like i am staying in this argument!

- Big T

Offline BigBen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22/02/2006 14:29:13 »
GOD IS REAL IDIOTS!!!!!! i AM A VRY STRONG CHRISTIAN!!!!! BESIDES WHO MADE THE BIBLE IF HE DIDNT EXISIST

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22/02/2006 14:33:19 »
Exactly who did make the bible if He doesn't exist? Was it just a fairy tale that a grandma made up to put the kids asleep? or was it really Matheuw, Mark, Luke, and John?

- Big T

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #31 on: 22/02/2006 15:52:53 »
A load of people who thought he did exist, essentially. Doesn't mean they were right.

Why do you need a supernatural being to write a book? If you need a supernatural bing to write a religious text then he must have also written the torah, quran, various hindu, buddist, shinto, anamist, pagan etc texts. If god did write or inspire them all, either he is, or he wants us to be, very confused...

ROBERT

« Reply #32 on: 22/02/2006 15:59:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts

a supernatural bing

Indeed Mr Crosby's crooning was heavenly.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bing_Crosby

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22/02/2006 16:05:06 »
I don't recall ever seeing a rally of athiests !!..I seem to forget the mass protests and demonstrations against religion, and the posters and flyers and people coming up to me to help me find the right way by disbelief !

As an athiest, I usually comment in response ...I am not on the active duty list of the PRO-ATHIEST campaign.....however, I may present an opinion based on something I have seen or heard and I ususally find it's the religious who make the most noise !

ie: BigBen calling us IDIOTS !!

The bible was written by a bunch of people over a period of quite a few years and is allegorical (look it up)...it's the best selling book of fiction there is !...oh by the way..that is MY opinion !

However, I am willing to be persuaded otherwise by proof that I require so perhaps I am an athiest with agnostitcal leanings !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
« Last Edit: 22/02/2006 16:29:10 by neilep »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22/02/2006 17:50:54 »
Ben, that's not really an argument that's going to convince anyone. Just because you, personally believe something doesn't make it so... I *don't* believe there's a god (tho' I accept the possibility) but just because I don't think there's anything out there doesn't make that so either.
Since (at least most of) the bible doesn't even purport to be more than a true account of the history of god's people (the Jews, and subsequently the Christians) written down by their scribes often considerably after the event, to suggest that it could only have come from god is not a remotely helpful argument for his existence.
Unlike the Islamic Koran (sp?) which is said to have been revealed to the prophet directly by an angel, the stories of the bible are simply accounts of certain stories, written down by many different individuals over the years, and even if the originals were true they have been given a slant to suit a particular school of thought at the time when they were written down.
So no, Tony, I don't think grandma made it up to tell the kids, and yes, it's entirely possible (as far as I know) that the gospels were written (or at any rate first related by )Matthew, Mark, Luke and John respectively.

Offline ariel

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22/02/2006 21:56:02 »
let me just clear things up
there is a god
FSM
visit www.venganza.org if you wish to find out more and quite possibly become a pastafarian like myself

it's sacrilicious!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22/02/2006 22:36:32 »
Well...I'm convinced !

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23/02/2006 14:33:52 »
this is a personal response to ben. ben what if the priests are wrong? What if there really is no god. I mean i go to church and every thing but i not a 100% sure it is real. What evidence is there ,besides a book, that supports that God is real?

- Big T

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23/02/2006 14:58:37 »
Have *you* been touched by his noodly appendage?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23/02/2006 21:04:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by BigBen

GOD IS REAL IDIOTS!!!!!! i AM A VRY STRONG CHRISTIAN!!!!! BESIDES WHO MADE THE BIBLE IF HE DIDNT EXISIST

I believe God is real also and I'm a Christian, but God is love. I don't believe He wants us to call people idiots because they disagree with us. Being a "strong Christian" should mean that people can see the love of God through you, not by how loud you can yell "I'm a Christian".

Carolyn

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23/02/2006 21:19:46 »
One things for sure...God & God related topics are popular...even on a science based website...at last count there are about 10-15 threads that all dwindle down to the same old thing....God is real...god is not real...I am right...you are wrong.

Personally...I believe in harmony....and threads like this (IMO) seem to stimulate disharmony and dissension.

Offline ariel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24/02/2006 00:19:02 »
as a matter of fact, I have been touched by his noodly appendage :D

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/rayhinton56@btinternet.com/photopagetan.html
« Reply #42 on: 24/02/2006 00:20:57 »
wow....
i see it like this...
god is the good,careing,kind,loving,warm,friendly,side of every single one of us,and the devil,who by the way no one has mentioned,but plays a significant part in the bible,is the cold negative side,so god is in us not controlling us from afar.
im an ex soldier who has seen both sides of the human character.
its not always a pretty sight,we can be awfull,and we are capable of such wonderful acts of kindness,god could definately be in us.

RE-HAB IS FOR QUITTERS.

Offline ariel

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24/02/2006 02:53:42 »
now you have got me thinking. if flying spaghetti monster is god, who is the devil?
floating macaroni vampire?

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24/02/2006 10:58:45 »
brilliant,and i thought i was being profound and deep.

RE-HAB IS FOR QUITTERS.

Offline Buggerlugs

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 25/02/2006 00:43:20 »
Does God exist?...We probibaly wont know the answer to that question until we all die...(or mabey we wont).  Look, if God does exist, he probibaly isnt the God you will be expecting because your religion has been so diluted over the past 2000+ years and if he doesnt exist then mabey there will be still some place to reside with lost loved ones.

We are entering a new age of Quantum physics and there are many arguments between Theoretical Physicists, Creationists, Evolutionists ect...all searching for 'the truth'. My guess is we are not even close and never realy will be because as a human species we are built to 'question' and will never be satisfied with 'the truth'. Todays theories are tomorrows scientific history.

You have good and bad inside you...and free will, so you decide.. i dont think it realy matters in the grand scale of things.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 26/02/2006 00:15:23 »
But i mean we have no real evidence besides a book that he is real

- Big T

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 27/02/2006 14:37:55 »
For instance if i picked up a mothergoose book am i supposed to worship her?

- Big T

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27/02/2006 14:46:11 »
hey if she is the one that lays the golden eggs,im up for a bit off water-fowl worship.

its the drugs,y-know.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27/02/2006 15:23:56 »
Tony (you young whippersnapper you !)...eventually you'll come to your own decision as the years go by.....what about your family ?..are they religious ?...any guidance from them ?...of course you may eventually decide that you just can't make up your mind....

That, along with , 'why do three buses turn up at the same time  ?' is one of life's BIG questions.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 27/02/2006 15:23:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length