The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?  (Read 1466117 times)

Offline carrie

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What is the treatment for molluscum contagiosum?
« Reply #50 on: 26/03/2006 22:42:39 »
My 14 year old son was diagnosed with molluscum a few weeks ago - his upper thighs, elbows and arms were absolutely covered with the spots - and they were constantly itching and became infected. Our GP was sympathetic, but could only offer fucidin to stop the itching.  I enquired at our local health food store, run by an ex GP, who suggested Chelidonium, by Bioforce.  It can only be ordered via an independent pharmacy and must be painted on the spots twice daily.  In two weeks of using the product, most of the spots have dried up.  There are still a few left, but we are delighted with the results.

Offline Proteus

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27/03/2006 00:20:56 »
My dermatologist confirmed molluscum in the groin area after some tropical travels and commenced to freeze them off at regular intervals with no apparent overall progress.  I did my own research and started using thuja.  Within three weeks all lesions were gone.  Subsequently I encountered someone else with a similar case of diagnosed molluscum and recommended thuja.  She had the same success that I did.

Offline nicky

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27/05/2006 16:10:11 »
I have read all you comments and relate to them all my lovely daughter has Molluscum Contagiosum all over her private parts and at the back of her legs and I'm interested in Zymaderm it seems to work for some of you and wondered if any of you would know whether you can by it over here in the UK.

My first posting[:I]:D

Thanks
Nicky(Glad 2 know I'm not the only mum who worries about these things)

Offline manwithmolluscum

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10/06/2006 05:48:20 »
Some questions that I am shure everyone is thinking about.

Urine - When you apply urine, do you take a shower, then aplly pee with something soaked with urine on your entire penis/vagina? And if so, once applied do you stay naked for a couple of hours to let the urine do its magic or do you just get dressed with dry pee on genitalia and just go about your business? Also, can you apply urine without even taking a shower, its sterile anyway...

Duct tape - Do you apply small patches of tape on the warts, or do you just tape the entire area of skin, just one big patch of tape over a whole area? Do you shower first? How long do you keep the tape on there? Ive read for a couple of days, does that mean you can shower with this tape on, or do you switch tape after each shower shower?

Ive goten molluscum after a sexual encounter. I had only one wart, but I shaved over not knowing what it was and spread it all over my penis now. Still, I only have about 20 warts. And they seem to be spreading, I am pretty positive about getting rid of it...but, for the love of all that is holly, people help me get rid of this **** before it spreads all over, my penis is gold to me. A male is in his sexual prime from 18-25, I am only 24 and have plenty off lady friends. I have gone about two months without sex...if I have to do two years, especially since that will void my prime, I will go mad. So yeah, please throw me a bone on the questions above. I am a really nice guy and do not wish to spread this to any girls.

Offline thehalex

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 18/06/2006 17:00:53 »
grrr, had molluscum for about 3 years now, and they have been getting progressively worse. at first i thought possibly they where zits as wen squeezed, excreted a white pus. i know for a fact it wasnt sexually transmitted, because i had got it already long before i had had sexual contact with anyone. i have several hundred, ranging from large to small all over my genitals. too shy to take it to a GP, hoped they would go away on their own, my personal hygiene is good, and yet now im overwhelmed. im going on holiday in a month time, and decided i want them gone beofre i go, i wud lyk to have sexual relations on this holiday, and yet with all these spots there will be embarassing. i do not trust the NHS atall to deal with it, as them have recently done an operation on my chest which went wrong. it seems that anything that a teenager is unlikely to have, i have got!grrr!!! i had to have the mamotome operation (i think that is what its called) to get some fatty infected tissue removed from my chest, they only removed half of it, and it grew back to twice the original size, then they gave me a date for an operation to have it all removed, and then as the time approaches, they cancel it and move it foward two months, so now i have to go on holiday with all the lads with molluscum, and a huge lump on my chest! not very appealing to the ladies if u ask me :(

why me?

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #55 on: 18/06/2006 17:14:53 »
THE HALEX
Can i just say from the bottom top and middle of my heart i feel for you, i really do , i hope for you and all the ladies that you meet that somehow someone will come up with some advice to help.Good luck and i hope you have a good holiday

PS a bit of sun and swim in the sea can do wonders for the odd skin complaint.

Michael

Offline mjboone79

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 28/06/2006 20:57:28 »
wow, its good to see other people dealing with the same thing. my girlfriend was diagnosed with molluscum a few weeks ago. we have been together for 7 months and i havent shown any signs so the first thing i thought was that she cheated on me (due to the area that it was on). to be honest ive still been struggling with that idea even though there have been no other signs. anyway, after some research i realized i had had it about 2 years ago. in my reading of web forums there seem to be alot of people whos partners are unaffected by this virus, therefore supporting the idea of immunity and general ease of tramsmission. however, this also supports the idea that the virus never truely goes away and can still be transmitted. on another forum i found a doctor who insists that it cannot be transmitted by towels and such and is only transmitted sexually when amongst adults. his theory is that it would be all over all of us if it were transmitted so easily. my theory on this is that children have much softer and more sensitive skin. adult skin is alot tougher, except for areas like the genitals which dont see much wear and tear and almost never get seen by the sun. any thoughts on that??

Offline mjboone79

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 28/06/2006 20:57:28 »
wow, its good to see other people dealing with the same thing. my girlfriend was diagnosed with molluscum a few weeks ago. we have been together for 7 months and i havent shown any signs so the first thing i thought was that she cheated on me (due to the area that it was on). to be honest ive still been struggling with that idea even though there have been no other signs. anyway, after some research i realized i had had it about 2 years ago. in my reading of web forums there seem to be alot of people whos partners are unaffected by this virus, therefore supporting the idea of immunity and general ease of tramsmission. however, this also supports the idea that the virus never truely goes away and can still be transmitted. on another forum i found a doctor who insists that it cannot be transmitted by towels and such and is only transmitted sexually when amongst adults. his theory is that it would be all over all of us if it were transmitted so easily. my theory on this is that children have much softer and more sensitive skin. adult skin is alot tougher, except for areas like the genitals which dont see much wear and tear and almost never get seen by the sun. any thoughts on that??

Offline Lee Bisset

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 05/07/2006 13:54:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by bezoar

Have a grandson with molluscum, which I am told is a form of pox virus.  Currently, he's being treated with some caustic chemical by the dermatologist.  Is there any alternative treatment?  Any truth to the use of duct tape with warts, and would that help?

Bezoar

You may be inetersted in website call forces-of-nature.org -all natural remedies, my 3 year old daughter is suffering terribly from molluscum all over her face and hands and I have just ordered their herbal remedy - will let you know how I get on with it - but do take a look at their website!

Offline sarahb

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 10/07/2006 14:49:52 »
my one year old had one on his face....it grew and grew until it was really ugly so I just put some wart medicine on it finally and it fell off (leaving a scar unfortunatley)
NOW he got like 8 of them and they're on his EYELIDS and the corners of his eyes?!
Can I use his urine diaper on his eyes or is that dangerous and what else can I do to prevent them? How can try and boost his imune system...he's only one?
Did anyone have any othe remedies that worked???
Thanks

Offline cronus2533

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 11/07/2006 20:43:17 »
Hello All.

I have been reading hundreds of posts on the internet regarding molluscum and wanted to share my experience with you.

I noticed the first lesion about 2 months ago.Not knowing what it was tried to pop it and irritated it. It wasn't long before I had about 100 of these things. I did lie everyone else adn went to the doctor to be told there was nothing they could do, but wait it out. In my line of work that is an unacceptable answer, and definately so when it comes to me personally. I set out of the past month to find a way to rid myself of this stuff. I make no claims as to any particular thing causing them to heal but here is what I have done, and now am down to two stubborn lesions, but they are dimenishing by the day.

After searching for days for something to purchase I decided to by the Zymaderm. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I done a little more investigating and founf that it was a mixture of iodine and tea tree oil, along woth some other things. I figured I have iodine and tea tree oils so I will start applying that until it arrives. I would put the tea tree oil on first, just as it was drying I would apply iodine. After the second day these things were really starting to dry up and flake away. The Zymaderm came and they continue to deminish. I would treat myself in the moring after a shower, and again at night after a shower. Along with this, I have began to use tea tree soap as well to help minimize speading. Also, use a clean towel for each shower. To take it a little further, boost the imune system. I started taking Lysine in the morning, adn colostrum in the evening. any good health food store will carry products to boost your imune system. finally, I have made sure to get plenty of rest.

I also noticed that these things will prosper in hot/warm moist environments, so on my golf days I would use a powder, something to try and keep dry. Personally I noticed they would swell in size on days I would go to the lake and be in the water and sun all day. That was what got me to thinking, baths, and hot tubs might not be such a good idea right now.

I am sure everyone is different, and has different results, but if there are enough success stories out there then maybe everyone can find something that works for them.

For anyone wandering, the Zymaderm does have a bit of a smell. I was very aggressive wit the tea tree oild and iodine, so by the time I got it, I was use to the strong smells. If the lesions are irritated then all topical treatments I mentioned will burn a little. I had scrubbed in the shower one night, adn when I applied the tea tree oil and iodine, I was in a bit of pain. Just so you know.

Good luck to everyone in your endeavors to rid yourself of this terrible disease.

Offline smarteyez

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 12/07/2006 11:38:22 »
hi all, IM A 23 YEAR OLD FEMALE FROM LONDON
I have been diagnosed with molluscum around my bikini line and on my inner thigh. my gynecologist has treated them with liquid nitrogen, but i am not really happy with this treatment. I was wondering if anyone can give some recommendation of herbal remedies etc that are available to buy in England....:( :( :( :( :(

THANK YOU :) :) :)

Offline COMtnGrl

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 05/08/2006 05:25:58 »
newbielink:http://www.Molluscum.com [nonactive]
USA - telephone #: 304-725-2202
e-mail - info@molluscum.com

The Premier site for molluscum information and treatment alternatives. Updated daily.

Offline Pacderm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 09/08/2006 19:04:02 »
Molluscum acts differently than common warts.  Molluscum can be treated in young or old by pricking with pin or needle to traumatize the lesion. A tiny bit of blood must be seen. This turns on the immune system itself to take care of the virus, which usually takes about 1-2 weeks.  As new ones develop, ***** as needed.  Occasionally the old ones may need to be re-pricked.  This is much less traumatic to youngsters than liquid nitrogen and some other wart treatments.  People with atopic dermatitis or eczema tend to be more susceptible to molluscum because of tiny breaks in the skin which allows the virus to invade or spread.  Good skin hydration is of utmost importance to keep skin in a healthy state to decrease reinfection.

Offline any

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 14/08/2006 15:25:29 »
Been battling with these irritable pointy, hard, red spots with a white core for 6 months (various sizes under 5mm in diameter).  They would quickly spread around on the skin as clothing was rubbed on them and would itch sometimes. Tried for weeks with the ridiculously expensive oil bottle and gel (not naming names) mail order products and they did nothing except just seemed to change size of spots but not the number of them.  One day I decided to abandon the medication and just put cream to avoid chapped skin in cold weather.  The spots stopped spreading and started getting smaller.  So I decided to PASTE the entire area with oil daily or twice daily (I used nut oil but presumably you can use any type) - it leaves no strong smell, leaves your skin looking slightly shiny for a few hours (nobody notices since it is transparent) and is fairly cheap to get hold of. Using this caused most of the small spots to disappear within 5 days.  After 2 weeks the larger ones had erupted and burst leaking the fluid/gel contained within them (this may cause a little bleeding in some of the larger spots as the core falls off and if the bleeding happens it will be a bit itchy).  What are left are small areas of white circles within a darker outer ring where the spots used to be but this is disappearing slowly and not nearly as noticeable as the spots.  Where the spots were there are no craters/protrusions and the skin feels as smooth as where there are no spots.  If you have not tried oil it is quite cheap and you can buy fairly large bottles, I think it is supposed to be good for your skin as well and the change in some of the spots that I saw was quite noticeable in only 6 hours - 1 day.  I don't think that this is a cure but I think reapplication of the oil daily or weekly is required for maintenance of healthy skin to stop you drying out.  Hope this remedy works for others as well.

Offline swmbkerun

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21/08/2006 03:29:39 »
Just to let everyone know molluscum.com is a scam.  You will get the Silver Cure product but it doesn't work and pretty much looks like some dark colored petroleum jelly, and I'm pretty sure that's all it really is.  The ReBuilder Medical company offers a money back guarantee so after it clearly didn't work we sent it back.  No response for weeks of course.  We call and they say they will send a check out the next business day.  Two weeks later still no check.  We follow up with some emails and we get a letter from an Attorney (or a letter that looks like and attorney) that says they are about to enter bankruptcy court and encourages us to accept the attached check for $6.  Otherwise we will have to see what happens in court.  I doubt this company is going into bankruptcy but I know if I hold out I would never get the full refund as promised.  

Buyer beware.  This stuff is a complete scam and fraud.  Do not believe these posts from their company employees poising as members that are on this site.  The stuff doesn't work.  Wouldn't you think a dermatologist would use it if it worked.  We told our daughters we tried it and he laughed.  Now we just feel foolish.

Offline jdd

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 22/08/2006 15:53:44 »
I know alot of people got this infection without knowing where they got it.  From what I've read and been told, it can pass on anything moist, such as shared towels, or someone not wiping the sweat off a seat in a gym.  Either way, the groin area seems the perfect spot for these little buggers.  Here's how I got it and have dealt with it.
  My girlfriend got it some how, and because of her diabetes and her preference to taking baths, has it on her head, neck, chest, and legs.  Once she was diagnosed with it, she stopped the baths, but by that point the damage was done. She's been battling it for two years now.  The dermatologist has tried freezing, scraping, blueU treatments, and is about to try a chemical peel.  Its very frusting, especially since she naturally has acne and is very fare skined.  This makes it very difficult to diagnose bumps and probably the biggest reason why I was infected.
   For the two years she's known to have had it, we made every effort to ensure she didn't pass it onto me, however, I ended up being infected twice.  When she was first diagnosed with it, they had only found it on her legs.  We ended up necking one night, and a few weeks later I had a breakout on the left side of my chin.  After three months of freezing, they were gone.  At least from this, the doctors determined she had it on her neck.
   The second infection came a year later.  At this time the doctor said she was cured.  He looked over her body and any bumps he found he said were acne.  Even though we knew we should have waited a few months after the 'cured' verdict, she and I started having sex.  Now granted, we are both adults, and especially in this day and age TV makes it sound like you have to bump uglies after three dates, we had some pent up desires.  Well, you can guess what happened next.  I found a nice colony in my groin area one day while I was showering.  I went from thinking I'd never get a STD, to dealing with one.
   With this infection I could fully comprehend what my girlfriend was going thru.  I had to change the type of underwear I wore.  I couldn't work out at all in fear of spreading it further down my legs and/or giving it to someone at the gym. Heck, I started using those paper things on toilets.  So I've spent several months getting scraps and freezing at the dermatologist's office.  Towards the end, we'd argue about what I thought was molluscum and what he thought was clogged pours on my penis.  I,like my girlfriend, have very fair skin and acne. A couple of months ago he declared I was cured, but I believe I still have them.  If I break out again, I'll probably try to Zymaderm stuff.
   So from having to deal with this twice now, here's my advice (which maybe should have been stated at the beginning of all of this.)  
1.) Be patient.  It takes awhile (even with treatment) for it to go away.  
2.) Check the infected area and surrounding and touching areas every day.
3.) No baths! Ever.  This is how my girlfriend got it all over her body.  Showers are better for you and the environment.  Wash suspect areas last.  And always use a fresh towel every time you clean.
4.) If given the choice, I'd suggest having them scrapped off. That was the fastest way I found to get them removed. I was petrified at first, but with local anesthetic, its pretty painless procedure with some minor discomfort later. Its the only way I know where you're guarranteed to prevent existing cores from infecting other areas.  But I may change my mind if the zymaderm actually works.
5.) Please don't have sex if you have it.  Even if you only have it on your elbow, the last place you want it on yourself or others is on the groin.  And if you've been given the all clear, wait a few months.  Its easy to miss even one of them.

-jdd

Offline drq100

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 25/08/2006 06:22:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by rolans

Hi-

Urine cures molluscum!! My 2 year old son had molluscum. I treated it with his own urine. It worked very fast, within a week it started to clear up.
What happened was he somehow contracted this nasty little virus perhaps at his doctors? It started slow but over some weeks it got worse and he suffered. It would spread in its typical way up from his belly. It got to his neck and now I began to really panic. What if it got on his face? I did an extensive search for a cure and naturally I assumed there would be a simple over the counter remedy. Boy was I wrong, the more research I did the more I was shocked that no one had a real solution for molluscum and that so many people have and live with molluscum.
What I found was the usual wait till it goes away crap or get some sort of vague complex treatment that would traumatize my kid. My wife called her father in Mongolia and he suggested the urine for a cure. After my son would pee in his pamper we would rub him with the pee wet pamper. What I do remember is that while he had molluscum it would never spread below his pampers and I had feared that it would spread to his penis and rectum. It never did due to the fact that urine was the barrier. In Asia urine is used for curing many blood related illness. Chingis Khan Used forms of this treatment to stay healthy.  
Please try it for all ages.

Roland        
:D:D:D:D

Offline drq100

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 25/08/2006 06:31:31 »
My son had molluscum all over his legs and we couldn't decide whether to try the silver thing or ZymaDerm so we got both and put silver on 1 leg and zymaderm on the other. The silver did nothing!! Absolute squat. The zymaderm dried them up and they are almost gone now after 3 weeks. Some of them got a little red but the customer service people were really nice when we called and reassured us that it was nothing to worry about. We returned the silver stuff to molluscum.com and we also got some bullsh_t letter back about bankruptcy. What a total dirt bag site!!!

Offline drq100

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 25/08/2006 06:34:39 »
Sorry for the double post. The one about urine is not me. I hit the wrong button and somehow got my name posted to his letter! Sorry everyone.

Offline Bow

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 30/08/2006 14:19:09 »
My friend daughter has been on Thuja 30c and using tea tree on the spots. Also she has done everything homeopathic to boost her daughters immune system. Fingers crossed it's working! This company with the silver thing ought to be ashamed of themselves. Praying on desperate people. Oh and IF you are posting on their behalf "May you suffer with facial and Genital warts for the rest of your lives". You disgust me!

Offline Bow

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 30/08/2006 14:19:09 »
My friend daughter has been on Thuja 30c and using tea tree on the spots. Also she has done everything homeopathic to boost her daughters immune system. Fingers crossed it's working! This company with the silver thing ought to be ashamed of themselves. Praying on desperate people. Oh and IF you are posting on their behalf "May you suffer with facial and Genital warts for the rest of your lives". You disgust me!

Offline heardm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 11/09/2006 10:24:08 »
Wow, i thought my little girl was the only one with molluscum! It's reassuring (in a round-about kinda way) that we're not alone.
She's had molluscum for coming up to a year, and they are in all the usual areas - thighs, legs, stomach, arms.
She's due to start pre-school nursery soon so we're desperate to get rid of them, and am also fed-up with the usual 'they'll go away on their own' medical fob off.
We're currently trying Zymaderm which to be honest, i'm not sure if it's making any difference. I've just ordered a small pot of Silver-stuff to give that ago too. I'm not convinced about this either. To compound things there's mixed responses on this forum! I'll update once i've tried the Silver-stuff, but would appreciate any advice anyone has!:)

Cheers

Mike ; )

Offline ibprentice

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 11/09/2006 18:39:18 »
Dear All,

re: Molluscum

Both my children have the virus and it is aweful. Doctors do not pay a great deal of attention to this virus.

It spreads rapidly and it looks terrble and it terrifies parents!

I was fortunate to have my mother who knows a World renown Dernatologist from Essex England.

Here is what you do:-

Squeeze out the white spots. Make sure you clean them out one by one and DO NOT spread them around the area.

Apply Betandine or and iodine solution with 10%povidone-iodine

see link:- newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betadine [nonactive]

it is a good idea to take a plaster and cover every spot.

This does two things, viz:-

Helps heal the area and
More importantly stops your child spreading the virus by itching.

Once the spot is removed and you have been applying the iodine use some Neosporin to help heal the area.

Molluscum is contageous.
Molluscum will go away in 6 months on average.

Some doctors prescribe Aldara cream. This is effective and will create a redness and the spots will scab over. Perservere with the treatment and combine all of the above to reduce the time this virus goes away.

I have spent days researching this and I hope that it helps anyome out there who is experiencing this trauma.

You can email me at ibprentice@comcast.net if you need any further help.

All the other lotions and miracle creams like silvercure are just a scam. The Zymaderm is just iodine based and may help.

Offline ibprentice

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 11/09/2006 18:41:29 »
Dear All,

re: Molluscum

Both my children have the virus and it is aweful. Doctors do not pay a great deal of attention to this virus.

It spreads rapidly and it looks terrble and it terrifies parents!

I was fortunate to have my mother who knows a World renown Dernatologist from Essex England.

Here is what you do:-

Squeeze out the white spots. Make sure you clean them out one by one and DO NOT spread them around the area.

Apply Betandine or and iodine solution with 10%povidone-iodine

see link:- newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betadine [nonactive]

it is a good idea to take a plaster and cover every spot.

This does two things, viz:-

Helps heal the area and
More importantly stops your child spreading the virus by itching.

Once the spot is removed and you have been applying the iodine use some Neosporin to help heal the area.

Molluscum is contageous.
Molluscum will go away in 6 months on average.

Some doctors prescribe Aldara cream. This is effective and will create a redness and the spots will scab over. Perservere with the treatment and combine all of the above to reduce the time this virus goes away.

I have spent days researching this and I hope that it helps anyome out there who is experiencing this trauma.

You can email me at ibprentice@comcast.net if you need any further help.

All the other lotions and miracle creams like silvercure are just a scam. The Zymaderm is just iodine based and may help.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #74 on: 11/09/2006 18:41:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length