The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is it tolerated?  (Read 9029 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it tolerated?
« Reply #25 on: 21/04/2006 22:43:45 »
Hey George it you reality its the way you see things I hope it make you happy and fulfilled and mean that form the bottom of my hart. We are not going to agree so the best of luck to you.  

Happy half century to you, my little post war baby.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
« Last Edit: 21/04/2006 22:44:20 by Hadrian »

another_someone

« Reply #26 on: 21/04/2006 23:28:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian

Hey George it you reality its the way you see things I hope it make you happy and fulfilled and mean that form the bottom of my hart. We are not going to agree so the best of luck to you.  

Happy half century to you, my little post war baby.

Thank you kind sir but still another couple of months to my half century lets not rush it quite so fast :)

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21/04/2006 23:35:56 »
i am oct 1956 :D

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21/04/2006 23:38:49 »
quote:
I understand where you are coming from, and I realise there was a certain element of idealism in what I said; but equally, I would ask, if your daughter lay hurt and bleeding to death, would you wish everyone to simply walk away for fear of the risks of getting involved?

Absolutely not.  Sure I would want someone to help her.  If neighbors hadn't helped me when I was shot, I would've bled to death.  That's not really the kind of help I was talking about.  I'm talking about strangers that try to convince you they need help with their car; or strangers in a parking lot that try to sell you cheap perfume or whatever in a possible attempt to rob or rape you; or seemingly nice gentlemen in a mall pretending to be lost and asking for directions. By the way, as a teenager, I was approached by a nice gentleman in a mall, he was a pimp trying to set up a prostitution ring in my town.

quote:
It may sound like I am some sort of 'goody goody' I am not. I can think back to quite a few occasions where I had to make a split second decision whether to help someone or not, and I did nothing. I hope there are a few occasions where I did make a positive difference; but I am more haunted by those occasions where I remember that I did not. I have standards, but I recognise those standards as that which one should seek to achieve, not necessarily that which mere human beings are always able to achieve.

I think most of us have been in this or similar situations.  Perhaps what we should be teaching our children is how to properly make those split second decisions as to whom to help or not help.  Unfortunately, I don't think the majority of us are qualified to teach our children that particular lesson, at least I don't think I am.

quote:
I am not talking about politeness I have never been too hung up on politeness that is mere superficiality.

I find that hard to believe.:)

Carolyn
« Last Edit: 21/04/2006 23:39:44 by Carolyn »

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23/04/2006 22:53:28 »

What the F*ck is a "boom"?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire"

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23/04/2006 23:05:33 »
I think from context that in this thread it is used to denote both a bomb (an explosive device intended to damage life and/or property) or a loud bang created by explosives.. I'm not quite sure why it's being used in the former context, possibly the perpetuation of a typo, or possibly out of a fear that to be seen to have typed the word "bomb" on a forum might lead undiscriminating law enforcement agencies to suspect terrorist leanings.

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24/04/2006 20:08:57 »
How about the fact that I am Dyslexic and I dont always see the glearing errors in  my typing  boom boom!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 24/04/2006 20:08:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums