The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: submarines  (Read 3402 times)

Offline moccacake

• View Profile
submarines
« on: 26/04/2006 18:50:06 »
how does a navy submarine (such as a Los Angeles class attack sub) prevent its crew from suffering from the bends when it ascends to the surface?

another_someone

Re: submarines
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/2006 21:07:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by moccacake

how does a navy submarine (such as a Los Angeles class attack sub) prevent its crew from suffering from the bends when it ascends to the surface?

The bends arise because when divers dive, they adapt to the pressure around them, which means that their body is put under pressure; their blood it put under pressure; and more gases dissolve in the blood stream.

As the diver comes up from the deep, the pressure around them decreases, the pressure in the blood stream decreases; and so less gas dissolves in the blood; so that gas which did dissolve when they were under pressure will not come out of solution and form gas bubbles in the blood stream.

Submarines are steal tubes which can resists the pressure of water outside of the hull; so the pressure within the submarine remains at ordinary surface pressure; so the submariners blood is not put under pressure in the way a divers blood is put under pressure; and so there is no release of pressure as they surface; so no gas bubbles are formed; and so they do not get the bends.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/04/2006 04:11:05 »
I love Submarines. I'd love to go in one. I have lots of Submarine films....Crimson Tide I think is my favourite followed by The Hunt For Red October.

There ! I think my contribution is in every way just as relevant to the topic in hand.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 27/04/2006 05:31:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

I love Submarines. I'd love to go in one. I have lots of Submarine films....Crimson Tide I think is my favourite followed by The Hunt For Red October.

Submarines are nice technology, but, while not having experienced one myself, I understand that the old diesel/electric powered subs could be very cramped, smelly, and uncomfortable to live in (even more so when submerged).  Modern nuclear powered subs are more spacious, but still not palatial.

George

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 27/04/2006 05:31:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums