The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are ideas the meaning of life?  (Read 3814 times)

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
Are ideas the meaning of life?
« on: 17/05/2006 02:08:10 »
well this is kinda more of philosophy but we dont have a philosophy thread so i didnt know where to post!
anyways!

I had this idea a while ago, and i have been itching to share it and see what others think of it.
Sorry if it isnt organized well, i havent expressed this to anyone before.

Ideas are any thought, pondering, association, inspiration, or other form of contemplation created by the brain.

The reason we are here, and the reason all of existence exists, is to allow for the optimal formulation and propogation of ideas.

By formulation i mean that the ideas are thought of, not neccesarily acted upon. Though, once a human thinks of an idea (such as say an invention or action or artwork) they can create that object of their idea, which will then allow for further propogation of that idea.

By propogation i mean the spread of the ideas to other people. This can be done via conversation with friends, writing a book containing your ideas, posting on the internet, painting a peice of artwork, or a hardcopy of your idea (if it is an invention or something.) and it basically serves to ensure your idea exists.

All Humans can create all ideas by combining other ideas they already posses.
They sometimes create bad ideas, which, when acted upon, prevent the formulation and propogation of ideas.
An example of this could be hitler and Naziism, it was an idea, but when acted upon caused the death of millions of people, and thus prevent those people from creating ideas or propogating them, and thus is seen as a horrible event.

Now its sure nice just to say all this, but now i will show several examples which demonstrate the previous statements.
Humans have a natural longing to fufill their existence.
Everything we long for is to either create or propogate our ideas.
We long for things like our continued life (to create ideas), interaction with friends(to share ideas), idle time (to create ideas), to have freedom [to create and share ideas].
Conversly, things, like murder, persecution, isolation, and the like all prevent ideas, and thus are abhorred.

The perfect life is the one which allows the maximum number of ideas to be created and shared.
This can be used to create something interesting; a quantiny for moral and ethical choices. The best actions are those which allow the most ideas, those which prevent ideas are the worst.

This idea can be applied to gauge the morality of any situation.

I believe the perfect society would be one in which the maximum number of ideas could be created and exchanged.

any questions?

Offline Roy P

• View Profile
Re: Are ideas the meaning of life?
« Reply #1 on: 17/05/2006 11:58:46 »
Not so much a question, more an observation: Isn't this an analogy for Evolution and genes?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 17/05/2006 15:03:36 »
Have you had a look at my Evolutionary Metaphysics ideas on my website.  Like many people you seem to be thinking along similar lines.

As to your original question re the meaning of life I do not see any particular deep reason for everything but do agree that it is possible to optimise our strategy for survival but this must include several different strategies in parallel because outside conditions beyond our control may result in the failure of some of them.

For example I agree that human beings are changing the climate of the earth by their actions and should if possible try to avoid this but the earth's climate has in the past changed and will change in the future by much more than even current activities are likely to change it and we must be adaptable enough to cope with these changes without the total destruction of society.

I feel strongly that we are under sentance of death until we learn to control our population to live within the limited resources of our planet and feel that this safe population limit may be as low as 10% of the current global population and the achievement of this objective in a socially acceptable way within the next 200 years should be the real global impeitive.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!
« Last Edit: 17/05/2006 15:09:50 by Soul Surfer »

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2006 00:27:58 »
i think that we are perfectly capable of sustaining our current population, we just need beter management.
We need increased recycling of resources, increased organization of farming and energy harvesting (Including alternative energy sources)
i believ ethe main problem with our world and why we are falling headfirst into chaos and destruction is our greed, we ignore the long term benefits of certain things, jsut because they are not short term economically profitable...
I believe if a stronger goverment, perhaps a conglomerate of several exiting states, existed which had the power to guide humanity in the proper direction, even if they werent profitable in the short term, would allow for our existence.

This becomes even more realistic if its a world goverment. It could use the resources coming from a currently rich area to improve a poor area, and result in over all global prosperity. Right now this doesnt happen because each country is greedy, and wants as much money for itself as possible, and doesnt want to share its resources.

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2006 18:06:25 »
recycling of most of the resources people recycle is less efficient. we use more energy and create more pollution at recycling plants than at just filling landfills and making things from raw materials. esspecially in the case of plastics and paper.

however, re-using things is far better from this stance than anything. "re-use before recycle". it has to be done by individuals though. the right movement is little things... like printing on both sides of a sheet of paper. spare the occasional flier, this is almost never done. what about washing and reusing a plastic coffee cup at the cafe instead of buying more and more paper ones? these little things reduce landfill requirements and production needs and do far more than a bunk centralized recycling initiative.

the other thing i have troubles with is believeing that humanity is ruining the earth. considering the age of the earth, the many trials and tribulations it has been through, and how brief our species has had a part in it, to think were going to destroy the earth is just nonsense. its us wanting to feel our species is important. well be another extinct species, survived by the more adapted animals, like so many before us.

truly sorry this has deviated so far from the original topic.

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/05/2006 18:12:47 »
now that i read this more carefully i notice that no ones saying we'll destroy the earth, only our own species. i read it very fast. sorry, and disregard that part of my post.

Offline tanian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/05/2006 16:21:19 »
I don't have time to go into this at length, so I'll be very brief.

I've spent a lot of time working out my own theory that draws parrallels to yours, so maybe I can be of help here.

I recently posted a thread asking 'Is the Universe Infinite', and here is the reason why:

In a truly Infinite Universe, I believe that anything and everything Finite MUST exist, everything finitely PROBABLE must also certainly exist, or the  Universe would not be truly INfinite, for it could not be boundless if it was incomplete.

I know, not exactly a compelling scientific argument, but I really am pressed for time (although If you want evidence, just work out how many numbers there are...).

Here's the rub:

If everything exists in an infinite universe, and everything that exists exists an infinite number of times (it must, simply because it can), then what is the purpose of life?

All I can think of is exactly what the above post says. If there are infinite people doing an infinite number of things, then the purpose of life must be to complete the infinite variables and acchieve everything there is to do. The only way to do this is by thinking of ideas.

Sigh. Like I saidm hardly a compelling scientific argument, but have a ponder and tell me what you think lol... I really got to go :)

Offline Sungrazer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24/05/2006 20:56:43 »
I don't believe there's a reason that we're here or that there's a reason for the existence of anything.  We just are and it just is.

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25/05/2006 19:27:44 »
that is a questionable point.  from my creationist perspective (I hope you still listen to my ideas, and not disregard it completely because of my view of life) there are just way too many coincidences to be real.  Evolution is supposed to be little changes lasting millions of years, but we find only a few skeletons that happen to have a few similar bones.  Where do feelings come from?  Without a creator, a purpose, how can we have fear, love, thought, or ideas?  How are those things scientificly possible?  what is the likelyhood that atoms would be created, electrons, protons, neutrons, mollecules work in perfect unity?  How could there be nothing in our ecosystem that does not in some way help support life?  There has been research and nothing is not contributing to our ecosystem.  Just something for you guys to ponder.

E=MC2... m=deg/360 X C... C= PiD

therefore E=deg/360 X 2(PiD)

Offline Sungrazer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/05/2006 20:21:16 »
Evolution is the non-random selection of random mutations which lead to differential reproductive success. *  In other words, if a mutation makes an organism more likely to leave more descendents, this mutation is randomly selected for.  These little changes accumulate over millions of years.  This gives rise to the complexity that some people see as (intelligent) design.

It is just not true that there are only a few skeletons with similar bones.  Not only are they abundant in the fossil record (check out any natural history museum), but organisms alive today show many homologies ( newbielink:http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/lines/IIhomologies.shtml [nonactive]).

Lastly, it's easy to see how evolution can produce an emotion such as fear which is useful for survival.  If you have no fear of predators or other dangerous situations, you will die and your species will go extinct.

* Strictly speaking, evolution is change over time.  Natural selection is the mechanism.

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26/05/2006 20:36:55 »
sungrazer said what i was going to say.

there is nothing on earth that doesnt contribute to life on earth, because if it was superfluous, wether animal, plant and geological process,  it has died by the process of natural selection.

the fossil records are there. ive had many real-life debates about ID/NS, and people(and maybe not you) who support intelligent design always say theres not enough fossil record to prove natural selection. there simply is. just look around for it.

the idea of a creator isnt mutually exclusive with the idea of natural selection anyway. a creator, who i assume would have pretty sharp wits, could use the process of natural selection to create just the same...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 26/05/2006 20:36:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums