The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are you your mind?  (Read 4804 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Are you your mind?
« on: 02/06/2006 13:29:18 »
Who are you and where do you get your identity from? Is it your mind or something elce?

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline Laith

• View Profile
Re: Are you your mind?
« Reply #1 on: 02/06/2006 13:49:24 »
I recommend watching a documentary called 'Brain Story' you can find it on UKnova.com, Its 6 parts and shows a lot of experiments with the human brain, what every part is responsible of and what happens to you and your personality when you loose or damage any of these parts, I came to the conclusion that we are what our brain thinks, who would you be if you didnt have any memory for example?

Laith

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/06/2006 14:14:44 »
Oh, is that all Hadrian ? :D...obviously this is a humongous topic...perhaps the biggest as it deals with self identity....still, here's my soupcon of a 2 cents worth.

Who we are and how we behave is brain led. The mind dwells within it and is a manifestation of countless millions of brain cells and synapses (and other brain things)that are the foundation of the information that we process whilst still in mummy's womb.

And it is our exposure to the outside world that starts the learning process that helps to develop how we are. We learn patterns of behaviour as a result of external stimuli and inherit character and personality traits from our folks. We learn to think and process data.

Not having really mapped the brain to it's fullness yet we have only a ' junior ' understanding compared to where we may be in a hundred years or so, but I think it's reasonable to assume that pending proof of a supernatural influence, it's safe to accept that due to virtual infinite complexity of the human brain that we should all develop individuality with our own persona, ways of thinking, emotions and deciding and reacting to the world around us.

The mind, is the culmination of intellect and consciousness resulting in who you are and who I am....it also serves that we ourselves can alter the way we perceive the world...we can.....change or mind.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

ROBERT

« Reply #3 on: 02/06/2006 14:23:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

it's safe to accept that due to virtual infinite complexity of the human brain that we should all develop individuality with our own persona, ways of thinking, emotions and deciding and reacting to the world around us.

I have to take issue with you there Neil,
surely emotions are the mental equivalent of motor reflexes:
emotional responses are innate, hardwired, not learned from "the world around us".
Did your children have to be taught to laugh and cry ?.
« Last Edit: 02/06/2006 14:28:41 by ROBERT »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/06/2006 14:44:23 »
yes yes this Hadrian.

Emotions are the physical manifestation of learnt (mainly unconscious) thought patterns nothing more.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/06/2006 14:47:57 »
No problem at all Robert..I'm not a neurologist of course but can accept that we are born with basic instincts and rudimentary (but still very complex) emotions...this is true.

However, I would say that (in MY opinion) more complex emotions  and development of them may need nurturing due to external influences....

......I have witnessed many times in my children where on first encounter with an object or event which would normally make them scared or cry that they just 'phase ' it...only later when maybe due to repetition or witnessing, do they develop the ability to react accordingly !...

...I am saying that we are all born with basic instincts and emotions but it is through due process that we fine tune them, elaborate on them and put them into practice....

...The contrary has also been witnessed where my kids are terrified of something mundane and harmless only to learn/understand later the appropriate emotion/instinct to apply.

Your point is totally valid but like everything to do with the independence of the human mind I believe we are given ' foundations' in the womb and then build upon them with life experience....but as I said that's my opinion and your excellent point raises issues that can be debated either way.

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/06/2006 14:55:32 »
So Neil are you your mind? Or is there more to you?

« Last Edit: 02/06/2006 14:56:08 by Hadrian »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/06/2006 15:09:38 »
I'd like to think there is more to me than just my mind, but considering how fragile the brain is, insofar that even the slightest impairment can change a persons personality then...well....oh...I just don't know Hadrian...

...and yet there have been many cases where people have survived the most terrible brain trauma and still they are the person they are with little change, some even no change...(as far as one can tell)....

we are all more than the sum of our parts and our bodies particularly depend on the brain for so many fucnctions...and we need stimuli to keep our minds active.

If I had to make a rash decision I would say, I am my mind..and maybe more !!...sorry...that's a dubious answer isn't it ?

ROBERT

« Reply #8 on: 02/06/2006 15:15:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

No problem at all Robert..I'm not a neurologist of course but can accept that we are born with basic instincts and rudimentary (but still very complex) emotions...this is true.

However, I would say that (in MY opinion) more complex emotions  and development of them may need nurturing due to external influences....

......I have witnessed many times in my children where on first encounter with an object or event which would normally make them scared or cry that they just 'phase ' it...only later when maybe due to repetition or witnessing, do they develop the ability to react accordingly !...

...I am saying that we are all born with basic instincts and emotions but it is through due process that we fine tune them, elaborate on them and put them into practice....

...The contrary has also been witnessed where my kids are terrified of something mundane and harmless only to learn/understand later the appropriate emotion/instinct to apply.

Your point is totally valid but like everything to do with the independence of the human mind I believe we are given ' foundations' in the womb and then build upon them with life experience....but as I said that's my opinion and your excellent point raises issues that can be debated either way.

I would just like to point out that emotions and the stimului which trigger them are not the same thing.
 I was saying that emotion itself was innate, I agree with you that the stimulus which triggers a particular emotional state can be learned, e.g. phobias can be triggered by many things but the emotion "fear" is innate.
« Last Edit: 02/06/2006 15:19:08 by ROBERT »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/06/2006 15:43:41 »
Again
Emotions are the physical manifestation of learnt (mainly unconscious) thought patterns nothing more.

They are a way for our mind to get us to pay attention to what it wants or doesn’t want based on a learnt thought pattern.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02/06/2006 17:55:57 »
Robert, I think you missed the point of the text you quoted from me....the key word I said was ' develop ' as in ' grow '. I don't believe I ever said emotions were NOT innate. Though, like Hadrian says above, I believe that it could be debated so.

I even mention it in the next post about fine tuning them.

I think what you might be saying is that emotions are what they are and can not be tampered with...hmmmm.. i tend to think that as we grow our ability to understand our emotions also grows and this is what I mean by ' develop '....

However, this discussion about emotions is all beside the point and is aside the main premise of Hadrian's excellent post.

Offline dannyjames

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05/07/2006 01:52:15 »
we are but brain cells, chemicals, and electricity. nothing more. from experience i feel that the only reason you feel or think anything is due to the balance of chemicals and nuerotransmitters and whatever the hell else is going on inside you. Throw off any of these things and your reality and personality can totally change.

another_someone

« Reply #12 on: 05/07/2006 23:30:13 »
But the question is, where does the brain end and the rest of the body begin?

Some people are afraid of spiders, but if they have no eyes, they could see the spider, so would they be afraid of it?

Even more difficult is the effect of smell, much of which we are not even concious of (such as the effect of pheromones), so where does the olfactory organ end end the brain start, or are they one and the same?

What about those things that are us that are not directly our emotions?  Our immune systems, our hormonal systems, etc. - they are outside the brain – are they a part of our identity?

George

Offline dannyjames

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06/07/2006 04:57:24 »
the simplest thing i can think of is that all of these uncontrolled senses, like the hormones and olfactory etc, effect our personality directly even though we have no control over them.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 06/07/2006 04:57:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums