The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Input on my thoughts of the universe  (Read 3304 times)

Offline bassplayer142

• First timers
    • View Profile
Input on my thoughts of the universe
« on: 16/10/2006 02:55:33 »
First of all I want to say I love this forum that I have found just ten minutes ago.  Hi Everyone. :D

Second, what I am about to say should have nothing to do with religion.

I think it is safe to assume that our universe has been composed by another higher being.  Unless you think that we are here and always were here.  This god made our universe with what materials he had or could make.  As dumb as this sounds, maybe he didn't have the ability in the construction of the universe to say make steel or some manmade product.  Just like our creations in life are robotic and electronic compared to organics.  As far as most physicists and I are concerned, everything in life is so utterly complex but when broken down it is very simple.  It is run on a set of rules just like a computer program that everything has to obey.  You can kind of relate this to the Matrix movie.:)  Everything we know is in our system that we live in and can perceive.  We cannot see the 4th dimension but it is there and we can study it.  So basically I can see that god is in another place that is somehow contained and held.  I think everyones true goal and question is to figure out where we came from and how everything works.  Most people think it can be done, maybe through death, maybe not.  I would say the greatest achievement is to find our creator.  

give me some input thanks.

Play it like it's a bass!

another_someone

Re: Input on my thoughts of the universe
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2006 04:25:21 »
If whatever caused us to be here is outside of our universe, then by definition it must be outside of our knowledge, and we can say nothing about whether it exists or not.

With regard to whether we are simply some sort of complex information processing system, this is something I have thought about on a number of occasions (even if the universe is nothing but some sort of giant computer simulation, it does not mean that we can ascertain whether the computer was built by a sentient life form or is just a natural product of some other environment).

What tests can one run to indicate whether we are a part of a computer simulation?

One expectation one can reasonably have is that if we form part of a computer simulation, then assuming the computer is of a finite size, we should have a finite limit to the amount of information that can be stored within the computer.  If the amount of information that exists in the universe is below the maximum capacity of the computer, then we may not perceive this upper limit; but if we have already reached that limit of information capacity, then we should find that for every new piece of information created, some old information must be lost.

A related issue is that if the computer is a digital information processing engine, then there should be finite precision to all the information in the universe (this would be in line with many aspects of quantum physics).

George

Offline bassplayer142

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/10/2006 05:10:58 »
So basically you are refering to conservation of energy.  I guess that makes sense.

I'm going to change the subject a little but anyone can feel free to say anything about that or anything new.

Religious people would believe that we were put here from god and that obviously means you don't believe in evolution.  About where life itself was spawned and how it happened.  Every equation and thing I have learned in science always has that turning point in the graph, the spot where something special happens other then the rest of it.  I would believe that our earth just so happened to be at that right distance from the sun, at that right temperture and with the right materials that started life.  Kind of like how an eclipse is seen because our earth is 400 times away from the sun as the moon is 400 times smaller.  Has anyone ever done any reasearch on this subject?

Play it like it's a bass!

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2006 16:37:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by bassplayer142
So basically you are refering to conservation of energy.  I guess that makes sense.

No, not particularly conservation of energy.

In information terms, energy is just another number that has to be stored somewhere and attached to a locality in space and time.

What I am talking about is more about placing a limit to the number of attributes (values) that one can assign to any point in space and time (and thus a limit on the number of significant localities of space and time that may interact with each other).

quote:

About where life itself was spawned and how it happened.  Every equation and thing I have learned in science always has that turning point in the graph, the spot where something special happens other then the rest of it.  I would believe that our earth just so happened to be at that right distance from the sun, at that right temperture and with the right materials that started life.

So, what is 'life'?  Why do we need a particular set of chemical reactions to create life?  Cannot life be formed from other structures and chemistries than we have on Earth (may it even have been formed of other structures here on Earth)?

quote:

Kind of like how an eclipse is seen because our earth is 400 times away from the sun as the moon is 400 times smaller.  Has anyone ever done any reasearch on this subject?

This coincidence is, as far as we know, only peculiar to our current time.  As far as we know, the moon is slowly drifting away from the Earth, and in the moon would have seemed larger in the past, and will seem smaller to those who inhabit this Earth in millions of years to come.

George

Offline roarer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/10/2006 03:42:26 »
You cads....you....you know I'll be interested in these topics...it's not some conspiracy is it?
And..I have to give my input on this topic..although it may be repetitive in some parts.
I tell ya...please note the following on our planet:
Everything is programmed in the ANTITHESES  EXCEPT US..THE HUMAN SPECIES!!
Examples: Day follows night....summer follows spring......cold follows hot (weather.)....sadness is followed by happiness.....cruelty..may be followed by compassion.....pain may be followed by serenity
And what about us. We have the freedom to do what we want...BUT we contain OURSELVES..by civil and moral laws.( this clever aspect of our lives in itself should remind us that there is a higher supreme intelligence at work)We...the human species actually keep ORDER on OURSELVES.
And  in some things we go AGAINST nature  with these laws.For example:
A girl reaches puberty at around 13 years old..where she may commence menstruating at that age. This clearly means that nature has deemed that she may become a mother...which of course means that she must commit to the sex act. However..the human species say a definite NO..NO  NO!! We passed laws which does NOT permit nature to take it's course. That girl cannot practice the sex act...she is under age..and it is a crime. Here in Australia the age of consent is 16 years old...perhaps in the USA..it is 18 years old. So you see how complex our life is on this planet..once you think about it...but we take it for granted.
And my point? Well all this did not come from "nowhere"...they had to be created.......so who created all these complexities?
« Last Edit: 17/10/2006 03:46:07 by roarer »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 17/10/2006 03:42:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums