The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you experienced cannabis-induced psychosis?  (Read 9382 times)

Offline josh

• First timers
    • View Profile
Have you experienced cannabis-induced psychosis?
« on: 04/02/2004 18:04:06 »
has anyone here ever had/know about experiences with cannabis induced psychosis? i had a psychotic episode about a month ago maybe a bit longer say 6-8 weeks at most, while i continued smoking cannabis i had voices in my head (not as bad as in the actual psychotic episode) and about 4-5 weeks ago stopped smoking cannabis at all. I seem to be slowly getting better, and can concentrate fine, many days not having any voices at all, but often they come back, much more subtly, and are really pissing me off, and stressing me out. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to recover? or good ways (other than taking prescribed drugs, antipsychotics etc. - the experience is not bad enough to warrant taking these.) of dealing with them/aiding recovery. thanks
« Last Edit: 17/05/2016 23:00:26 by chris »

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Re: Cannabis-induced Psychosis
« Reply #1 on: 04/02/2004 23:47:04 »
There is some evidence that if you're genetically inclined to psychosis or schizophrenia that cannabis can indeed trigger the mechansim that causes you to start experiencing the symptoms.  This doesn't mean pot causes it, just that it can trigger it if it's already present but latent.

It's very possible that what you're experiencing is  a form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  I had a similar thing that still affected me occasionally up until very recently when I was put on a benzodiazeprene (similar to xanax) that levels out the distorted mental state and physical symptoms.

My advice is to go to a doctor or psychiatrist right away.  Explain what's happening to you.  They're not going to say "tough crap" and lock you away, I promise.  It's entirely treatable, you don't have to be crazy.  

Good luck

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/02/2004 01:43:05 »
When you smoked the cannabis was the ash black or grey?  A light grey ash is good, black ash means there's residual chemicals from growing hydroponically.  Growers can avoid this by giving their plants only water for the three weeks prior to harvest.

That being said, Cannabinoid points out a good reason for you to stay away from mj if if triggers a negative response.  Also if you want to flush something out of your body I find that drinking lots of water helps.  If you need medication though, get it and take it.

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #3 on: 17/05/2016 18:15:46 »
THC-induced psychosis is uncommon and probably result from CB1/CB2 receptors activation. As your tolerance for THC increase, the risk of psychosis may decrease.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Have you experienced cannabis-induced psychosis?
« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2016 05:30:32 »
... As your tolerance for THC increase, the risk of psychosis may decrease.

Alternative explanation : continuous-use causes episodes of psychosis to become continuous-psychosis, (which replaces reality).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosognosia
« Last Edit: 18/05/2016 05:32:33 by RD »

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #5 on: 18/05/2016 10:52:32 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosognosia

I don't think it is wise to associate cannabis tolerance to anosognosia... The effects of endocannabinoids on prefrontal cortex (PFC) function are however interesting evidences that cannabis use has antipsychotic properties.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26510449

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/05/2016 23:26:17 »
I don't think it is wise to associate cannabis tolerance to anosognosia...

How would a person suffering from psychosis know their delusional-state had ended if, say, their false-belief was moderate-mild paranoia ?. They could mistake their paranoia as a true perception of reality, not realizing they are still delusional.
« Last Edit: 19/05/2016 23:34:36 by RD »

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/05/2016 03:13:58 »
How would a person suffering from psychosis know their delusional-state had ended

THC-induced psychosis produces symptoms that are relatively short in duration [i.e. 4-6 hours].

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21/05/2016 03:18:29 »
Alternative explanation : continuous-use causes episodes of psychosis to become continuous-psychosis, (which replaces reality).

Let me assure you that if an individual experiences THC-induced psychosis.... he or she won't be repeating the steps on a "continuous" basis.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21/05/2016 03:31:33 »
A light grey ash is good.... black ash means there's residual chemicals from growing hydroponically.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21/05/2016 18:33:31 »
As your tolerance for THC increase, the risk of psychosis may decrease.

Why would anyone in a THC-induced psychotic state, want to experience repeated psychotic episodes based on the notion that the episodes themselves might eventually go away with increased tolerance to THC???

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #11 on: 21/05/2016 18:45:10 »
As your tolerance for THC increase, the risk of psychosis may decrease.

Why would anyone in a THC-induced psychotic state, want to experience repeated psychotic episodes based on the notion that the episodes themselves might eventually go away with increased tolerance to THC???

Chronic THC administration produces CB1 receptor down-regulation. The buzz of smoking cannabis is decreased as your levels of tolerance increase. The term "psychosis" is perhaps wrongly attributed to the effects of cannabis, a natural antipsychotic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_cannabis#Psychological_effects
« Last Edit: 21/05/2016 18:52:08 by tkadm30 »

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/05/2016 19:11:08 »
Chronic THC administration produces CB1 receptor down-regulation.

Clearly you didn't comprehend my last statement.

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #13 on: 21/05/2016 19:37:28 »
Chronic THC administration produces CB1 receptor down-regulation.

Clearly you didn't comprehend my last statement.

Yes I did understood your last statement. You have to realize that the so-called "cannabis-induced psychosis" is nothing more than the effects of CB1 receptors activation. I'm leaning toward the term "psychostimulant" to describe how THC affect the brain. As for peoples seeking to down-regulate their own cannabinoid receptors, I'm thinking this may be for the antidepressant effect produced from chronic THC administration. 

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22/05/2016 00:19:24 »
You have to realize that the so-called "cannabis-induced psychosis" is nothing more than the effects of CB1 receptors activation.
]

"so-called"?

Are you once again suggesting that THC-induced psychosis is not clinically-validated?

Do you need more peer-reviewed citations or something?

So how about the tachycardia, hypertension, hyperventilation, paranoia or nausea that accompanies THC consumption in susceptible individuals? Or are those physiological symptoms just fabrications of the pharmaceutical industry lol?

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22/05/2016 00:36:27 »
Why would anyone in a THC-induced psychotic state, want to experience repeated psychotic episodes based on the notion that the episodes themselves might eventually go away with increased tolerance to THC???[

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #16 on: 22/05/2016 11:01:45 »
Are you once again suggesting that THC-induced psychosis is not clinically-validated?

Correlation does not equal causation.

http://reset.me/study/study-debunked-no-marijuana-does-not-cause-psychosis/

"This study does not therefore support the specific causal link between cannabis use and incidence of psychotic disorders. ... This concurs with other reports indicating that increases in population cannabis use have not been followed by increases in psychotic incidence."

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/debunking-latest-pathetic-fear-smear-campaign-against-marijuana

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #17 on: 22/05/2016 11:17:16 »

Bad trips happens. However the health benefits (anxiolytic, antidepressant, etc) of smoking weed usually take over as your levels of THC tolerance increase.   Tolerance breaks are important if you like having a cerebral (psychedelic) effect from weed.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22/05/2016 13:17:43 »
So how about the tachycardia, hypertension, hyperventilation, paranoia or nausea that accompanies THC consumption in susceptible individuals? Or are those physiological symptoms just fabrications of the pharmaceutical industry lol?

Try telling my girlfriend who has bipolar disorder that the aforementioned symptoms are not a reality after smoking weed lol.

Bipolar affective disorder has a lifetime prevalence of 1.3-1.6% [4] and is characterised by episodes of psychosis during both high (“manic”) and low (depressive) relapses. The misuse of substances, notably cannabis [5] raises the prevalence of psychotic symptoms further

CONCLUSION:
Cannabis use moderately increases the risk of psychotic symptoms in young people but has a much stronger effect in those with evidence of predisposition for psychosis.[5]

EXCERPT:
Byrne P. Managing the acute psychotic episode. BMJ : British Medical Journal. 2007;334(7595):686-692. doi:10.1136/bmj.39148.668160.80.

REFERENCE CITATION:
[5] Prospective cohort study of cannabis use, predisposition for psychosis, and psychotic symptoms in young people.
BMJ2005;330:11. [PubMed] [Ref list]

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #19 on: 01/06/2016 18:02:54 »

Try telling my girlfriend who has bipolar disorder that the aforementioned symptoms are not a reality after smoking weed lol.

Bipolar disorder is a fabrication of the pharmaceutical industry; It is another fake disease like cannabis-induced psychosis. Some studies are fabricated to fit into the market and profit from sales of pseudoscientific voodoo.

Offline puppypower

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02/06/2016 00:05:18 »
There are two basic types of cannabis; sativa and indica. Some of the potent sativa will cause paranoia. The term "getting high" was connected to the sativa of the 1960-70's.  While term "getting stoned", was connected to indica, which became more popular,after the 1970's.

The sativa grow closer the equator; Mexico, Columbia, Thailand, African. These plants can grow huge and take months and months to flower. While the indica grow shorter, in cooler temperate zones, and flower quicker. The trend away from the Sativa of the 1970's toward indica was due to the domestic commercial potential of the small and fast growing Indica.

There is a chemical in some sativa strains called THCV. The formation of THCV, needs strong sun and UV to form. The composite high from THC/THCV blend, amplifies the THC affect, can make some people feel paranoid. It  can be very racy and feel like an anxiety attack  or a thrill ride on a roller coaster. The stress can trigger trips.

When you are stoned from an Indica, you become like a stone statue, without the raciness. As such, an Indica can be used as an anecdote for a racy paranoid sativa high. If you add enough stones, it keeps you from flying too high. Many breeders will genetically blend the two, so you get that clear active sativa high, but without racy paranoia.

With commercialization of Marijuana, some of the strong sativa are coming back again, due to demand.
« Last Edit: 02/06/2016 00:07:29 by puppypower »

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03/06/2016 02:21:06 »
Bipolar disorder is a fabrication of the pharmaceutical industry; It is another fake disease like cannabis-induced psychosis. Some studies are fabricated to fit into the market and profit from sales of pseudoscientific voodoo.

Your ignorance, lack of knowledge and propensity to generate foolish conspiracy theories in the face of any scientific counter-evidence that's in opposition to your stance speaks volumes.

Bipolar disorder/manic-depression is clinically-validated: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder/index.shtml

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03/06/2016 03:17:24 »
The composite high from THC/THCV blend, amplifies the THC affect, can make some people feel paranoid. It  can be very racy and feel like an anxiety attack  or a thrill ride on a roller coaster. The stress can trigger trips.

You have it backwards actually. In contrast to THC (a partial CB1 receptor agonist).... tetrahydrocannabivarin is a neutral CB1 antagonist. This means the psychotropic effects are absent.

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #23 on: 03/06/2016 10:35:28 »
Your ignorance, lack of knowledge and propensity to generate foolish conspiracy theories in the face of any scientific counter-evidence that's in opposition to your stance speaks volumes.

Bipolar disorder/manic-depression is clinically-validated: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder/index.shtml

Sorry, I don't buy the bigpharma nonsense of fabricating mental illnesses for profit.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03/06/2016 13:09:25 »
Sorry, I don't buy the bigpharma nonsense of fabricating mental illnesses for profit.

You're right.... mental illness is nothing but a "fabrication of big pharma"

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 03/06/2016 13:09:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums