The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does dietary protein affect kidney function?  (Read 806 times)

Offline milanche

• First timers
    • View Profile
Does dietary protein affect kidney function?
« on: 26/11/2015 10:09:07 »
Hello everyone. I have one question. I have trouble with overweight. I went to some nutritionist who claims that have some very good diet. It is based on proteins. Something similar (but not the same), as Atkinson's diet etc. In the beginning he would giving me some amino acids as supplement. Since I know too many proteins could cause some kidney diseases, I asked if his diet is safe in this way and he said that too many proteins could be harmful for kidneys, but if I took it like amino acids, then it is safe. He said that problem with proteins and kidneys is that kidneys should decompose proteins to amino acids, and that process could cause that problem, but when body, and kidneys got amino acids then kidneys doesn't have that problem.

So I would like someone who knows physiology and biochemistry good, to tell me if this is true and if possible to explain in short why is that so? Thanks.
« Last Edit: 26/11/2015 11:44:17 by chris »

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
Re: Does dietary protein affect kidney function?
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2016 00:24:57 »
lol.... I would not take any more advice from the "nutritionist" in question.

A high-protein diet will absolutely NOT cause kidney disease and/or renal failure. The kidneys don't even filter protein. The kidneys filter amino acids.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Does dietary protein affect kidney function?
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2016 00:24:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length