The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What might have caused my grandfather's death?  (Read 910 times)

Offline Pseudoscience-is-malarkey

• View Profile
What might have caused my grandfather's death?
« on: 25/02/2016 08:37:42 »
A little over a year ago I asked a question on this forum in regards to my father's sudden cardiac death.

I now ask a question about what may have killed his father, who died in 1950 at the age of 29. I guess when they operated on his spine so many times, an infection took life, which turned into tuberculosis. They had a cure for TB at the time so I wonder why it didn't save him.
« Last Edit: 25/02/2016 08:40:00 by Pseudoscience-is-malarkey »

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
Re: What might have caused my grandfather's death?
« Reply #1 on: 25/02/2016 09:39:45 »
now ask a question about what may have killed his father, who died in 1950 at the age of 29. I guess when they operated on his spine so many times, an infection took life, which turned into tuberculosis. They had a cure for TB at the time so I wonder why it didn't save him.

My guess? Tuberculosis wasn't the primary factor that caused his death. A post-op infection can easily lead to septic shock in an immunocompromised patient.

necrotizing fasciitis > tuberculosis > septic shock > death

Necrotizing fasciitis
 as an early manifestation of tuberculosis: report of two cases.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20517775?dopt=Abstract

Rapidly progressive septic shock, associated with necrotizing fasciitis. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7130516
« Last Edit: 25/02/2016 11:04:34 by exothermic »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 25/02/2016 10:46:10 »
TB was extremely common at that time. It's possible that he already had TB and that the injury to his spine encouraged the bug to colonise that site from elsewhere in the body (because the altered / injured anatomy would facilitate infection). Thus, he could have died from TB acutely, although I strongly suspect that, if he had a severe injury, there was enery likelihood that othr bugs could have been involved too, particularly if the wound was contaminated with foreign material.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 25/02/2016 10:46:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums