The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Brain damage after hair dryer use?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline researcherer

• First timers
    • View Profile
Brain damage after hair dryer use?
« on: 21/05/2016 13:19:41 »
Hello friends,

Yesterday, I visited a barber shop to have my hair cut.

After the completion of the hair-cut, the barber used a hair dryer for removing the hair remains from my head.

The temperature of the hair dryer's air was high. The procedure lasted for about a minute or less.

I did not complaint during the aforementioned procedure. I just made a comment at the end.

At home, I searched on the internet and I found this link : Google "The risk of hair dryer"

Moreover, the only relevant scientific article that I found was this: 

Bazille, C., Megarbane, B., Bensimhon, D., Lavergne-Slove, A., Baglin, A. C., Loirat, P., ... & Gray, F. (2005). Brain damage after heat stroke. Journal of Neuropathology & Experimental Neurology, 64(11), 970-975.

Can the heat stroke effects to the brain be connected with the aforementioned link?

Do you think that the hot air from a hair dryer could damage brain cells?

In case a damage has happened, can my brain cells be repaired (brain plasticity)?

Thank you in advance.

Online chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brain damage after hair dryer use?
« Reply #1 on: 21/05/2016 16:47:27 »
It is technically possible that a hair drier could potentially damage your brain cells by increasing the temperature of your head too high. But you would have to be extremely uncomfortable for a long period of time. You are more likely to kill some skin cells or dry your eyes out by misusing a hairdryer, and even that would require continuing a painful or uncomfortable action for a sustained period of time.

If it hurts, then stop. If it doesn't, you should be fine.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2016 18:13:31 »
The appliance at the hairdressers which is most hazardous to ones brain is the sink (basin)...

Quote from: wikipedia.org/Vertebrobasilar_insufficiency
Vertebrobasilar insufficiency (VBI), or vertebral basilar ischemia (also called Beauty parlour syndrome (BPS)), refers to a temporary set of symptoms due to decreased blood flow in the posterior circulation of the brain ... VBI was first reported in the early 1990s when an American neurologist identified five patients who suffered strokes as a result of prolonged distortion of their necks from sitting at salon wash basins.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertebrobasilar_insufficiency
« Last Edit: 21/05/2016 18:17:50 by RD »

Offline researcherer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/05/2016 18:22:57 »
Friend chiralSPO,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I should say that I felt a bit uncomfortable during the procedure. Taking into account that our body warn us when something is going wrong, I considered the scenario that a damage has already happened.

I agree with you. An article that I read scared me and for this reason I made the post.

The article says:

The risk of hair dryer.

[...] We note that most of the hair drying devices contain two-speed or three, the first to introduce ordinary air, then the second hot air average temperature, and finally hot air too. Many of the women used the device in a manner that bad start to drying their hair with hot air and very targeted directly to the scalp, and here lies the danger, and that the direct effect on brain cells not adapted to these extreme heat .. The way the right is to start gradually by cold air and then the normal average, and hot to create all of the scalp and brain cells to accept this new situation.[...]

The author is unknown, and there are grammatical mistakes in the text, however seems logical.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/05/2016 18:44:42 »
The notion is completely laughable at best, and would never be supported by any peer-reviewed data whatsoever.

Online chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/05/2016 18:50:46 »
I think that the discomfort/pain would have to be very high for a very long time for it to be an issue. You would not be uncertain about whether the hair drier had damaged you or not.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/05/2016 18:55:03 »
The author is unknown, and there are grammatical mistakes in the text

There's a good reason for that.

I'm thinking we might be able to find it in the Hello Kitty Journal of Science, but I dunno.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/05/2016 19:04:34 »
I think that the discomfort/pain would have to be very high for a very long time

I think most people would stop well in advance of the third-degree burns.

Offline exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21/05/2016 19:07:15 »
Can the heat stroke effects to the brain be connected with the aforementioned link?

....... no

Online chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21/05/2016 19:29:51 »
I think that the discomfort/pain would have to be very high for a very long time

I think most people would stop well in advance of the third-degree burns.

one would hope so :-)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #10 on: 24/05/2016 08:40:19 »
There is no threat to your brain cells from using a normal hair dryer. The thermal effects will be trivial. People who have suffered horrendous burn injuries in explosions and chemical fires have lost their faces and burned their scalps to the bone. Mentally scarred they might be, but brain damaged they were not. The skull bone is a relatively poor conductor of heat and so little of the energy applied to the scalp will make it as far as the brain, which is also cushioned below the bone surface by a layer of cerebrospinal fluid, which will further dissipate the heat from the hair dryer.

Offline researcherer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/05/2016 21:22:49 »
Friend Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yesterday, I discussed the issue with a medical doctor friend of mine and told me almost the same things.

Thank you again.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 25/05/2016 21:22:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length