The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do antiperspirant deodourants work?  (Read 7707 times)

paul.fr

How do antiperspirant deodourants work?
« on: 29/03/2007 02:03:34 »
How does antiperspirant work? i am guessing that they block the pores in some way or another, if they do then how? and are there any medical concerns associated with doing that?
« Last Edit: 01/11/2008 10:18:24 by chris »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: How do antiperspirant deodourants work?
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2007 03:09:28 »
I have often wondered that myself and thought about not using any, then acouple hours later I think what a dumb idea that was!! LOL I was thinking the same thing about blocking he pours and how that would not allow your body to excrete the toxins and water that it needs to iliminate through the process of sweating!  That is a great question Paul! I want to know too!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2007 11:27:33 »
Body odour is the product of bacterial metabolism. Bugs thriving in the damp, warm underarm environment of the average armpit break down dead skin cells and in the process release volatile compounds, some of which don't smell very agreeable.

There are several ways to tackle the problem, the simplest being to shower several times a day. But that's not always very practical, so most people use deodorants of one type or another. These contain volatile perfumes which are evaporated from the skin alongside the sweat and therefore help to mask the unpleasant smells. Critically though they don't do very much to stop the production of the nasty smells so you eventually end stinking anyway.

Antiperspirants, which are often combined with deodorants, work differently. These preparations are designed to reduce the volume of sweat on the skin surface, plunging the bacteria into the microbial equivalent of a desert and therefore making it much harder for them to multiply.

They work by forming tiny plugs where the sweat gland ducts open onto the skin surface. This stops the sweat emerging, keeping things dry. The chemicals used include aluminum chloride, aluminum chlorohydrate, and aluminum-zirconium compounds.

Contrary to popular myth, there's no evidence linking the use of these agents to breast cancers.

Chris

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/03/2007 19:02:27 »
Thats good to know!! Especia;;y the part about no evidence linking them to breast cancer!

Offline OZ

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/08/2007 21:16:11 »
i dont think anti-perspirants work by physically block or plug sweat glands.  i Believe the aluminium compunds act as muscarinic antagonists, so that the sweat glands are not stimuated to produce sweat.

There was also concern that the aluminium compounds were lnik with alzheimers disease.  This is unfounded.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 23/08/2007 21:16:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums