The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes noisy breathing ?  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
What causes noisy breathing ?
« on: 08/05/2003 05:26:56 »
There's a big squeaky noise when I breathe in, and it requires more effort than normal. What does this mean, do you know?
« Last Edit: 17/05/2004 06:58:18 by NakedScientist »

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
Re: What causes noisy breathing ?
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2003 09:27:42 »
Sounds like stridor - You've not inhaled a foreign body have you ?

Is your throat tight, do you have allergies to things ?

TNS

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2003 00:25:45 »
I am allergy-free! But I also cough up a lot of mucus, if that means anything?

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2003 18:40:56 »
Quantumcat,

Are you experiencing any other symptoms(fatigue, fever, chills, aches, enlarged lymph glands in the neck, more rapid respiration)?  I'm not a doctor, but I had to reference a lot of allopathic and alternative medicine information to get well, and I'm referencing some texts right now.  Chris, please correct me if I'm wrong.  

It sounds like you have upper respiratory infection, which causes the tiny air sacs in the lung area to become inflamed and filled with pus and mucus.  You don't seem to know what caused it (inhaling a spider while you slept?) so the focus now is on reversing it before it gets worse (pneumonia is no fun).  

Garlic detoxifies the body and enhances the immune system.  When I'm sick I just take one bud off a garlic clove and swallow it like a tablet three times a day (you'll smell bad, but the boys won't want to be around you if you're coughing up mucus either).  

Ginger is a strong antioxidant and effective antimicrobial agent.  It also has analgesic (pain killing) properties.  I take a few slices of fresh ginger and put them in a teapot of hot water, then drink the tea.  Honey is a good sweetener (if you need sweetening) and helps soothe a sore throat.

Then there's the old home remedy of a hot lemon drink.  Try the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of honey in a cup of hot water.  Lemon is acidic, but has an alkalinizing effect on the body (go figure).

You could also go to your doctor for a chest x-ray if you're worried.  Do whatever you need to do to stay well, we enjoy your company.
« Last Edit: 12/05/2003 00:44:22 by Donnah »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2003 19:12:42 »
Hang on a minute. URTI (upper respiratory tract infection) hits the upper airways - in other words everything from the larynx (voice box) and above. The lower respiratory tract includes the lungs and alveoli (air spaces) and hence you wouldn't have an UPPER resp. tract infection yet have lungs full of gunk !

The best guidance is to ask yourself - how do I feel ? If the answer is not too bad the chances are you definitely do NOT have a lower respiratory tract infection. Once lungs start to fill with pus you get pretty unwell, pretty quickly.

The usual cause for added breath sounds includes wheeze, caused by asthma, although this is usually expiratory (when breathing OUT), young children get croup (a barking cough when they breath in) which is caused by viral infection, and stridor (high-pitched noises during inspiration) which is usually indicative of upper airway obstruction, including obstruction by a foreign body.

The fact that you posted this several days ago and have been back numerous times since, including today is reassuring that in your case it's probably nothing !!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 11/05/2003 16:20:54 »
Quantum, do you actually go to bed ever ?

Looking back at today's posts you were here at 0300 (our time)[|)], and now 1500 (our time)8), also today - hence you are talking to us at 3am ! Insomnia or something ?[xx(] !!!

Great to have you with us though !

Chris
« Last Edit: 11/05/2003 16:22:17 by chris »

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/05/2003 04:48:13 »
Australian time is approx. 10 less hours of UK time, so that would mean I was online at 7.26pm, 2.25pm, 5.55pm, 5.18am respectively ^_^ Unless of course I converted it wrongly. That doesn't sound so bad, now does it?:) I sometimes go online in the mornings and in the evenings or afternoons ^_^ I wake up early and go for a walk if it's warm enough or if it's too cold, go online or read :p

And yes I do go to bed :-p

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/05/2003 10:15:04 »
Has there been any SARS cases in Australia?

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13/05/2003 12:47:58 »
Nope! we're SARS free :)

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13/05/2003 22:00:03 »
But it's scary thought, someone can be a carrier and travel around <cough Exodus> :D the world without anyone realising.

Tom

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #10 on: 13/05/2003 22:14:08 »
Sorry to disappoint you Quantum, but according to the WHO website, which I've just checked (link under sars at the top of this section of the forum) your country has had 3 CASES now ! [xx(]

Chris

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17/05/2004 12:40:02 »
Why is this at the top of the page?? (before I posted) this post is a year old.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17/05/2004 15:08:11 »
"NakedScientist" edited some of the posts in the thread, and that makes the forum software flag it as "active" as of the time of the editing.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 17/05/2004 15:08:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums