The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: bodily fluids from decaying corpse  (Read 6602 times)

Offline karen

• First timers
    • View Profile
bodily fluids from decaying corpse
« on: 06/09/2003 05:39:39 »
[?] need some info on what would cause a wet spot on a hard wood floor that by hear say was caused by a person who died and was found days later.   We have used bleach and sanding  To me it smells like 10 cats used the spot for a litter box. It is a very strong pee smell  The person supposedly passed away quite a few yrs ago.   Can this actually be possible?  Would it leave a wet feeling  or would it have become sticky or what?  I dont feel that that is what happened or dont want to believe it.  Tried just about everything with no change.  I suppose we could have scraped the area and sent it to a lab, but I am sure it is expensive to do that and we live on a tight budget.  We just purchased this bldg with 2 apartments a yr ago and redoing the inside and people are telling this happened in there.  We were never told about this from the prior owner.    Please help  thanks, karen

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
Re: bodily fluids from decaying corpse
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2003 08:19:05 »
I've heard that the body depletes itself of fat. Don't know for sure. If no luck here, call a bio-cleaning company. If theyre not in the book, the local police could give you a number. These are the people that clean up death, murder and suicides.

Just a thought.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/09/2003 10:21:18 »
When people die, their sphincters release and whatever is in the bladder and bowels escapes.  Also, there's that yucky brown stuff that comes out of their nose and sometimes mouth.  Doesn't really look much like bile, so I'm not sure what it is.  I just tried to get them wrapped for the morgue before all that stuff released.  Then it was their problem to clean it.  I did have a patient once in home health that died over the weekend, I think sometime between Saturday night and Monday morning.  By the time I got over to his house and got in, the smell was overwhelming.  I would guess that lying in one position for several days, the flesh started decaying at any areas of pressure and the smell is one of dead flesh -- fat included.  I think Ian's daddy probably has the best idea for clean up.  When fat solubles get into the flooring, not sure how you finally get them out.

Bezoar

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/09/2003 15:19:40 »
Eewww, yuck. Try a realy strong enzyme cleaner. there's one on the market called "TZ Floor Prep" that is used to get oils off of the floor. There may be better ones out there as well.

Offline Broca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/09/2003 02:51:32 »
vinagar with Bay leaves also might help. Place it in small bowls and it is supposed to draw the scent to it. It works with human urine that has saturated for several years, but I am uncertain about this particular instance. Worth a try though.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/09/2003 03:53:15 »
That's a good recipe for alt. meds. forum, perhaps. I love helpful hints. I caught a program on PBS once that aired some guy from the BBC. It was Haley's Hints, or something like that. It was great. I'd like to know more about this guy and if his show is popular in the UK.

Offline karen

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08/09/2003 01:36:27 »
Thanks for the info    karen

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #7 on: 25/10/2003 09:04:42 »
If you're not adverse to harsh chemicals, try a really strong polar and/or acidic solvent.  Most nasty decaying body smells are caused by various types of amines.  (some aldehydes and ketones in various fluids, too)  

Some suggestions:

-acetone  (if you can't get industrial grade, use nail polish remover)

-rubbing alcohol  (I use this to get the smell of phenol that soaks through my gloves when prepping the organic lab at school..soap and bleach don't even come close to getting it off)

-acetic acid  (i.e. vinegar)

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 25/10/2003 12:39:51 »
I missed this post the first time around - it sounds grim !

Bezoar - the brown stuff coming out of the mouth / nose is the intestinal contents. As you quite rightly said above, all the sphincters relax, including the cardiac sphincter and pyloric sphincters which keep food down...

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/10/2003 16:34:46 »
This is grim.  I agree with Cannabinoid that you may have success with some really strong chemicals.  However, they will most likely damage the floor, and by the time they soak in enough to get the smell out, you may have some trouble repairing the floor.  You might get an estimate on replacing the boards in that spot.

We have four rental houses, and are always fighting the battle between keeping them rentable and speding more than they will pay for.  Mostly we lose money.  And sanity.

------------------------
No words of wisdom here.
« Last Edit: 25/10/2003 23:20:48 by tweener »

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #10 on: 25/10/2003 18:11:02 »
Vinegar won't ruin the floor, but the other two will definately strip pigments from the rug.  (Or lacquer from the wood if it's a wood floor)

Try the vinegar first.  It's the least dangerous and your best bet for stinky amines.  (they're basic so they will dissolve quite readily in an acidic solution)

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 25/10/2003 18:11:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums