The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 31174 times)

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
Re: Insomnia
« Reply #25 on: 21/10/2003 00:14:21 »
Great. I'll try it. Thanks.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21/10/2003 03:14:50 »
Exodus, if you have St. John's Wort in the tub you could blow bubbles and have a bubble bath![:0]

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #27 on: 21/10/2003 12:44:15 »
Clearly, taking St. John Wort would not be a good idea before bed, unless you have the facility to strap the covers down...[^]

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21/10/2003 13:11:33 »
huh???

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Pappy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24/10/2003 21:27:03 »
Velcro sheets, top and bottom.........no problem with "blow ups" from the SJW!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #30 on: 25/10/2003 00:07:08 »
I think that one blew straight over Quantum's head.

C

- Groucho Marx

Offline genegenie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26/10/2003 06:31:13 »
My mother swears by warm milk and honey before bed. When I can't sleep I lie on my back and mentally relax every part of my body, starting with each toe and working my way up. I'm usually asleep before I get past my legs.

Obviously, I try to be very quiet and not toss and turn because it wakes my hubby and then he suggests his (so-called) sure-fire way to send me to sleep;).........and thats when I tell him I have a headache as well as insomnia.:D

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26/10/2003 13:54:04 »
Genegenie,
Your hubby is only trying to help.:) It puts us right to sleep almost everytime. It also cures headaches. 4 out of 5 doctors agree that sex with me is so boring, that you can't help but fall asleep. Take your hubby's prescription and have sweet dreams.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26/10/2003 17:05:50 »
Ronnie, so how many doctors have you had sex with then;)?

Genegenie, your hubby's on the right track, knocks me out like a light!  As Ronnie said, it's good for headaches too; may not cure the pain, but gives you pleasure to focus on.  Now I just hope I don't have 50 million women mad at me for ruining their best excuse.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27/10/2003 06:19:22 »
I've only slept with one doctor, but I believe it spawned a survey at area malls. On the subject of headaches, as they say, laughter is the best medicine. Get me nekkid and all your ailments are gone. :D

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28/10/2003 04:35:39 »
Is that what all those surveyors at the mall are asking about?  I always wondered.  Sex puts me to sleep too, and I swear I'm all female, but I'm just like a man.  Want to roll over and go to sleep afterwards.  As far as the cuddling goes, can't stay awake long enough to demand it.  Headaches?  Only had one in my life after I had a concussion.  That's kind of lets the headache out as an excuse for me.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #36 on: 28/10/2003 22:50:35 »
Ronnie - I saw this and thought of you :

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=00054E67-ED15-1EB6-BDC0809EC588EEDF&catID=3

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28/10/2003 23:50:24 »
Interesting article, Chris.  Too much REM?  

Ron, do you drink coffee after 2pm?  

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29/10/2003 03:56:14 »
Very interesting, Chris. Thank you. It did give me some insight and I'm going to try some of the suggestions.

Donnah, yes, I do drink lots of coffee. I try not to drink any caffine after 5pm, but sometimes find I've failed. I drink less water than I used to and rarely exercise. I smoke and my stress has been at an all time high for the last few years. As a whole, I just haven't been taking very good care of myself. I do remember as a child having trouble sleeping. It seems that good sleep has never been a constant luxury for me. I find that I'm very tired in the morning as though I didn't sleep at all. I've also been reluctant to go to bed. That's not to say that I'm not tired / sleepy, I just don't go to bed. I've been forcing myself to bed lately and practicing some of the suggestions from everyones advice here (thank you)and have had a little better time getting up in the mornings. I just need to take better care of myself and not run myself into the ground so much.

Time to wind down.....G'nite, Y'all.

Offline Pappy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30/10/2003 14:15:26 »
Why does good sleep get more elusive as I get older. I remember those teenage years of sleeping in till noon after a night out. Now, I'm wide awake come 5 am regardless of the previous night's activities. I see my daughter sleeping like a baby and envy her ability to just "turn off" and crash for the night. So, what's up with the sleep thing as I age? Anyone have any ideas or similar experience?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #40 on: 30/10/2003 14:50:51 »
So maybe, if what you're saying is true, my ability to get to work on time might improve as I get older ?!

Rate I'm going I'll have to be bloody retiring age before I get near the door close to starting time !

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30/10/2003 16:15:25 »
I've been watching this thread and feeling that I don't have much to contribute.  I still don't have much to contribute, but I'll put in my 2 cents'.

I have found that not doing my exercise makes it difficult to get to sleep.  Getting too much sleep (or trying to) is also a bad thing.  For a while I was also having to get up two or three times a night to relive my bladder.  Taking saw palmetto extract to reduce my prostate has helped that a lot.  Sometimes I get a good book and stay up all night.  That really helps me sleep well the next night.  Mostly, I figure if I'm not going to sleep anyway, just stay up and do something fun - like write stuff on this forum!

----
John

Offline Pappy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30/10/2003 16:47:16 »
Tweener - thanks for the $0.02 worth. Can you expand on the saw palmetto prostate thing?? Why, what does it do, how does it work, etc........not only have I reach an age where sleep becomes elusive, butt I'm hearing the snapping sound of a rubber glove approaching from the rear, yikes!!

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30/10/2003 21:51:24 »
I read somewhere that older people need less sleep.  Then I read somewhere else that older people tend to nap more during the day, thus requiring less sleep at night.  All I know is that since I'm "older," I sleep less and feel just fine, and have also changed from being a night person to a day person.  Read somewhere else that sleep regulation has to do with the pineal gland, which calcifies in all of us with age.

Bezoar

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30/10/2003 22:24:45 »
Pappy, saw palmetto is useful in preventing prostate enlargement because it inhibits the production of the hormone dihydrotestosterone.  It also functions as an appetite stimulant, diuretic, urinary antiseptic, and can enhance sexual drive and function.

Sleep?  I'm Bezoar's age and sleep like a baby most nights.  Easy to fall asleep and easy to stay asleep.  The key, for me, is stress level.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 31/10/2003 00:59:47 »
Nancy,

PLEASE tell me how to switch from a night person to a day person. I'm possitive that it would make life alot easier amongst all these crazy day people and their unrealistic demands on me.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 31/10/2003 03:04:05 »
Pappy, what Donnah said about saw palmetto.  She knows more details than I do.  It really does work, but that rubber glove is snapping behind me too I'm afraid.

My main trouble with sleep is that my circadian (sp?) rythm is not tuned to a 24 hour day.  I seem to be off by about 5 or 10 minutes per day. Sometimes I have good timing and then I drift earlier to the point I stay up late and don't get up in time for work for a while.  So, sometimes I'm a day person and sometimes I'm a night person.

I prefer nights because that's when I get to do fun stuff like play with pictures on my computer and surf the internet.  It makes for long days at work though.

----
John

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 31/10/2003 03:25:43 »
Ronnie
My switch from a night to a day person came about after working eight years of the night shift (7p-7a).  I got to hwere I was so sleep deprived that I fell asleep every time I sat still for any length of time.  Finally, when the girls were old enough to be home for a few hours till I got off work, I switched to the day shift.  Gradually, over about a year, I strangely became a day person, waking up with the sun.  I don't know why it happened, and I wouldn't suggest eight years of the night shift to my worst enemy.  Did it so the kids wouldn't have to be with baby sitters -- that way they were either with their Dad or me.  I think somehow the years of sleep deprivation reset my circadian clock.  Also, the sleep deprivation influenced my choice of the second husband, absolute proof that people should not go too long without sleep.

Bezoar

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 31/10/2003 05:57:48 »
Hehehehe....sleep deprivation can cause some really bad choices. Too many cobwebs in the head. I tried the 3rd shift for two years and it's hard to get used to. I don't think I ever did. I think alot of my sleep habits stem from my past. I was a bartender, waiter, bouncer in clubs and got home at 5am or 6am quite regularly. It's been ages since then and I need to switch. It's getting a little better, but I have to go to bed in order to get up on time. I just avoid going to bed. As if I'm going to miss something. I know there are no clowns and ponies once I drift off to sleep. Why I fight it, I'll never know.
I read that your body keeps an account of your "sleep debt" and it usually catches up when you get ill. Is there any validity to this?

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 31/10/2003 21:46:54 »
Ron just pretend there's a gorgeous woman waiting in bed for you[:X]; that'll get you 'tween the sheets faster than the speed of light[:p].
« Last Edit: 31/10/2003 21:49:51 by Donnah »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 31/10/2003 21:46:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums