The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Fingernails on a chalkboard.  (Read 6502 times)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Fingernails on a chalkboard.
« on: 07/12/2003 05:38:37 »
What causes the reaction that many people have to the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard. Or a fork on a plate or other things like that?

I have a very strong reaction to those types of sounds, to the point that I have to leave the room if someone is scraping their plate with their fork.  Some people are not bothered by it at all.

----
John

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Fingernails on a chalkboard.
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/2003 20:46:52 »
The near-universal reaction to agonising sounds like chairs screeching on a stone floor, chalk squeaking on a blackboard and fingernails being grazed over a rough surface - in other words those horrible electric sensations that make you arch you back, shudder and grimace, argues that there is something 'primitive' about the response.

One theory suggests that the sounds that elicit these kind of responses are very similar to the frequencies that are produced by animals in distress. It might therefore serve as a warning system, heightening our alertness, making us feel uneasy, and getting us ready to run.

chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/12/2003 03:26:45 »
When I had a mouth full of amalgam fillings sounds like that would hurt my teeth.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #3 on: 08/12/2003 06:01:40 »
I found a website once that had mp3 recordings of his experiments to find the most painful audio frequencies to the human ear.  It was so cool...I really wish I could find it again!  He put hundreds of them on his site and people voted on the worst ones.  The top 5 were really really bad...way worse than fingernails on the chalkboard.  

I had a brainstorm to mess with people who listen to crap music by recording a 4 minute sampling of these sounds and putting them on Kazaa as 50-Cent and Britney Spears tracks.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/12/2003 11:08:59 »
lol!!!

In my physics classroom the lab stools screech when you turn your body in a super-high-pitched way, they definitely produce the arching-back and all that reaction. I hate it.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/12/2003 21:21:03 »
When my neighbors played rap crap loud enough to hear for four city blocks I put on Tantric Chants full blast, opened my doors and windows and waited for them to change their minds about the volume.  They didn't like it, but several other neighbors thanked me.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2003 23:54:25 »
quote:
[when you turn your body in a super-high-pitched way

Ow, how do you turn your body in a super-high-pitched-way ? Sounds painful ! ;)

- Groucho Marx

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #7 on: 09/12/2003 23:55:55 »
quote:
I had a brainstorm to mess with people who listen to crap music by recording a 4 minute sampling of these sounds and putting them on Kazaa as 50-Cent and Britney Spears tracks.

Careful - you might accidentally have written Britney's next song - she is well known for her whining !

- Groucho Marx

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #8 on: 10/12/2003 05:54:07 »
Found it:

http://www.svbxlabs.com/pages/projects/sndpain/

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline genegenie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/12/2003 13:28:46 »
I don't have a problem with fingernails on a chalkboard, but I can't stand it when someone runs their fingers along a fold in a piece of paper. It's not just sounds that effect me though, I can't bear the thought of sucking an empty iceblock stick through closed lips. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. Does anyone else experience  similar things or should I consider carting myself off for a psych. assessment.

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10/12/2003 15:25:31 »
I know what you mean!!!!! I think. I get that reaction when I think of running my tongue over something rough/hairy sort of. It makes me shudder and other reactions, it's weird.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14/12/2003 01:36:59 »
I listened to several of the "most irritating sounds" and while they aren't pleasant, I don't find them anywhere near as bad as my dad cutting up his eggs in the morning by jamming his fork into the plate and scraping it back and forth next to the knife.  Gives me goose bumps just sitting here writing about it.

I wish I knew a way to desensitize myself.

----
John

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15/12/2003 03:05:12 »
I detest the sound of knives being sharpened.  It used to make my teeth hurt when they were full of amalgam, and while it doesn't make them hurt any more it is embedded in my mind as a horrible sound.

Why is it that when I touch certain metals with my hands I can taste them?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 15/12/2003 03:05:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums