The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does one GAIN weight?  (Read 17551 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: How does one GAIN weight?
« Reply #25 on: 18/01/2004 21:26:44 »
Good to see you back Kev.

I knew that Arnie had had health problems owing to body building drug misuse, but I didn't know about the 6 heart attacks.

One of the competitors in the World's Strongest Man contest suffered sudden death recently didn't he ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20/01/2004 14:19:09 »
Is it the muscle bulk alone?  I find that hard to believe.  I always thought it was the steroids.  Which brings me to another question.  

My ex-boyfriend's son was into the bodybuilding scene and had a steroid habit.  He had a nauseating body odor -- sort of like a mixture of testicle sweat and cologne.  Could it have been the steroids that gave him the peculiar odor, or just one of those instances where a person just has a foul body odor naturally.  He also took a lot of IM vitamin supplements and protein powders.  And the kid was real clean too.  Showered twice a day, so I know it wasn't a lack of hygiene.  But this odor actually permeated the entire downstairs of the house.  His sister's said that is just the way he smells, but he'd been using steroids from age 14.  Now, at age 30, his blood pressure is 140/100, but he doesn't think the steroids have anything to do with that.  Hmmmm.

Bezoar

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #27 on: 20/01/2004 15:33:32 »
My girlfriend has high blood pressure as a direct result of taking steroids for a lung condition (hemosiderosis, not recurring thankfully) for several years.  She's 27, but she took a lot less steroids than a bodybuilder would have, and has high blood pressure from it.  Coincidentally, a cortisone shot in her knee (also a steroid) triggered latent type I diabetes.  I don't know if this is a risk with all steroids or just with cortisone.  Chris, you'd have a field day with this girl, she has so many weird 1-in-1,000,000 conditions.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #28 on: 20/01/2004 17:24:49 »
It's worth bearing in mind that the word "steroid" is often misused. It refers to several classes of agents the glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids and anabolic steroids. They are all steroid alcohol derivatives hence the name "steroid", yet their actions are all different.

Anabolic steroids are agents with testosterone-like actions. They are virilising and promote muscle development. These are the steroids of abuse in the gym.

Glucocorticoids, like cortisol (available over the counter in a tube as hydrocortisone cream), are immunosuppressive. They are essential to health. But excess exposure, either endogenously (e.g. because of a tumour) or exogenously (iatrogenically), produces severe side effects including hypertension, immunosuppression, gastric ulceration, osteoporosis, thin skin and striae, elevated lipids, hyperglycaemia / hyperinsulinaemia, truncal obesity, cataracts and psychiatric disturbances including depression.

Mineralocorticoids tell the kidney to reabsorb salt (sodium ions). The key mineralocorticoid is aldosterone, produced by the kidney. Most glucocorticoids also have (weak) mineralocorticoid effects too (which is why too much cortisol produces hypertension).

- Groucho Marx

Offline h4mi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22/01/2004 18:02:49 »
If these anabolic steroids are taken say, not on an everyday basis, would that still cause health/kidney problems? I was offered these on a well known gym/website, but I am not keen on injecting myself as some of these (correct me if I'm wrong) just cause water retention in the body/muscles..

*Never eat anything whose listed ingredients cover more than 1/3rd the package*8)

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22/01/2004 21:50:29 »
I wouldn't go there if I were you.  They cause a mood elevation that can be addicting.  You have no idea how pure the substance is that you're injecting yourself with, how accurate the dosage is, etc.  Besides, they make you stink!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #31 on: 23/01/2004 12:44:57 »
Also worth bearing in mind that they suppress the activity of your testicles which can cause them to wither and, speaking chemically and metaphorically, drop off. Anabolic steroids can also trigger malignancies.

Very bad news. Not worth the risk.

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline h4mi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23/01/2004 16:15:40 »
Thanks for replies. I was never going down that "road" though, as value my health too much. Gaining weight is one thing, but messing about with the bodily system is another.

*Politics is supposed to be the 2nd oldest profession - it bears a close resemblance to the 1st*

Offline h4mi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28/01/2004 15:33:03 »
SLEEP .. Where did the "age old" saying, 'One needs 8 hours sleep'come from?
What would happen if one sleeps a maximum of 2 hrs a day?

*Not everyone can be famous, but everyone can be great *

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #34 on: 29/01/2004 12:02:26 »
Sleep is biologically crucial for health and wellbeing. A laboratory animal deprived of sleep will die. Humans deprived of sleep (often as a form of torture or interrogation) develop psychosis (schizophrenic symptoms).

There are a few rare diseases, on of which is called Fatal Familial Insomnia (appropriately enough), which causes sufferers to remain awake continuously, and fatally ! It's a prion disease a bit like CJD.

Reassuringly, for those who do not subscribe to the "early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise" adage, recent research has found that people who don't fit this behaviour pattern are not less healthy (than those who do), and are also a bit richer too !

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29/01/2004 17:23:22 »
Yep, I read somewhere that most millionaires work 12 hours a day, so they do work for their money. I find I naturally wake up after about 6 hours.  If I stay in bed and manage to get back to sleep, it's only for a couple of hours, but generally at 6, I feel rested and ready to arise.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #36 on: 29/01/2004 20:15:22 »
If working 12 hours a day is what millionaires do, then I should be totally loaded by now ! But my decidedly empty bank account tells a different story (and I'm not in gambling or drugs either !). Maybe my reward will come next year...?

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30/01/2004 02:10:51 »
Or next lifetime.  I almost laughed when I wrote that last entry because I knew it was going to get to you.  I should have excluded doctors in the UK, huh?

Offline h4mi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30/01/2004 07:16:36 »
My sleeping pattern for the past 5 / 6 yrs has decreased to approximately 1.5 to 2 hrs a day.It has got to the stage that if I sleep more than that, the following day I am nodding, as if I had never slept at all. I have no idea if this is good or bad, but I am as fit as the next person; Wish my bank balance was up to scratch too :D

*He who hesitates is poor*

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30/01/2004 14:33:16 »
I think the trick is, you have to be working during those waking hours.  Then too, probably the next trick is you have to be working for yourself.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02/02/2004 03:07:14 »
I wish I could get by on only a couple of hours of sleep every day.  I could get so much more done that way.  Sometimes I try, and it kinda wrecks my mind after a few days.

----
John

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04/02/2004 18:39:56 »
I still feel best on 8 hours a night, but can get by on as little as 6.  If I don't get 8, I need to "tank up" on the weekend or it gradually wears me down.  You need sleep to recover and my body is still in recover mode.  It's okay, I have great dreams.

My brother is a millionaire.  He worked very hard to get there and still works hard.  He just kept trying different things until he found a few that work.  I'm heading for wealth in the coming years too (after making a recovery from financial devastation), but am not concerned with the amount of money.  I stay focused on how to get it and what I want to do with it.

Offline h4mi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13/03/2004 19:45:04 »
Hi Chris,
Hope you are well; Missing your Sunday radio show.

Coming back to the average 2 hr sleep a day topic, My tutor rescheduled my timetable, saying "although you may be used to so few hours sleep, your brain, or in computer terms as he put it, your chip, is tired, shutting down, and you do need at least 5+ hrs a day or you will burn out"
I am following his advice, and do feel "fresh".

What I would like to know is, does the few hrs sleep, really lower ones concentration and memory abilities?
Regards

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #43 on: 14/03/2004 02:27:03 »
Hi Sherman

thanks for the nice comments about missing the show. We're beginning to talk about the new series now - which is a good sign !

What would be really helpful would be to have to requests / recommendations for topics and or guest speakers to include on the programme. We'll then see what we can do.

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline h4mi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14/03/2004 14:04:49 »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for reply.

Two of the subjects that I would certainly would like to be covered are the ones on weight gain and sleep. There is probably more to it than whats stated in books/articles etc. Would like to hear what the opinions of the experts from different angles.

It is doubtful that I am the only one with the above mentioned traits.

Regards
Sherman

Offline sakthifoundation

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sakthifoundation.org
« Reply #45 on: 22/03/2004 02:47:49 »
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

SPAM ALERT

Everybody, if this person reappears, please be so good as to sign them up to every spam mail site going that you can find. They have helpfully provided their email address - gethealed@sakthifoundation.org - I'm sure they'd like some spam to waste their time, since they obviously have too much of it on their hands.

« Last Edit: 04/07/2004 06:51:13 by Exodus »

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03/07/2004 20:03:01 »
there can be good reasons for high metabolism, which to me seems to be the underlying problem. many people are hyperactive due to food allergies, mainly additives (the deaded E-numbers). also caffeine will increase your metabolism. there are probably a whole load of other foods out there which increase your metabolism too, which maybe you should try to cut down on. maybe you could try eating more foods that are known to help you sleep, I think milk is supposed to work, and lettuce.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04/07/2004 06:57:45 »
Putting on weight is easy, just follow my simple diet planner:

Why not just eat a sensible breakfast, WITH LARD a healthy lunch, WITH LARD and then a good wholesome dinner WITH EXTRA LARD.

For added pounds, i would suggest snacking on fried bread generously coated with lard between meals.

There are some great lard recipes here:
http://www.hoboes.com/html/Diner/lard.shtml

Hope this helps ;)

Offline stallonetorocky@yahoo.com

• First timers
    • View Profile
How does one GAIN weight?
« Reply #48 on: 31/03/2010 10:34:54 »
Well, start by taking a multivitamin every night with dinner. Also, drink protein shakes. You can buy mixes at a store like ___. Increase your protein intake. Eat more lean meats and cheeses and eggs. You want lean weight to turn into muscle. Excercise with your new diet. Drink lots and lots of water to stay hydrated properly. A glass of milk a day would help as well. Cut out your fatty foods and sweets. They just make fat wich will make it harder for you to gain muscle.
« Last Edit: 31/03/2010 22:41:30 by JimBob »

The Naked Scientists Forum

How does one GAIN weight?
« Reply #48 on: 31/03/2010 10:34:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums