The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it true that 21 grams of weight is lost when you die?  (Read 23757 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it true that 21 grams of weight is lost when you die?
« Reply #25 on: 05/05/2004 11:01:54 »
Hello Neil here,

...I'm not a scientist but I have to agree with John (moderator sir) that surely the very nature of a scientist is discovery through research and empirical data etc etc, and therefore to not follow but to lead, and that's what I have to say about that.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'  

paul.fr

Re: Is it true that 21 grams of weight is lost when you die?
« Reply #26 on: 21/05/2007 14:13:08 »
I know this is an old topic, but i always notice people reading it. So here is some information that has not already been posted.

The experiments were carried out by Dr Duncan MacDougall, and he only had 6 test subjects to work on! That's not many is it? At the very least one should have ten, ie X out of 10.

Saying that lets assume he could not find another four, not his fault. Most people are quite sure that the experiment is correct and was conducted with rigour and irrefutable. So what did he find, did all 6 loose 21 grammes?

So what did he find with those six patients / subjects?

"(the first) Suddenly coincident with death . . . the loss was ascertained to be three-fourths of an ounce."

"(the second) The weight lost was found to be half an ounce. Then my colleague auscultated the heart and and found it stopped. I tried again and the loss was one ounce and a half and fifty grains."

"My third case showed a weight of half an ounce lost, coincident with death, and an additional loss of one ounce a few minutes later."

"In the fourth case unfortunately our scales were not finely adjusted and there was a good deal of interference by people opposed to our work . . . I regard this test as of no value."

"My fifth case showed a distinct drop in the beam requiring about three-eighths of an ounce which could not be accounted for. This occurred exactly simultaneously with death but peculiarly on bringing the beam up again with weights and later removing them, the beam did not sink back to stay for fully fifteen minutes."

"My sixth and last case was not a fair test. The patient died almost within five minutes after being placed upon the bed and died while I was adjusting the beam."

His finding were published in the newyork times and  American Medicine.   April 1907.MacDougall, Duncan.   "The Soul: Hypothesis Concerning Soul Substance Together with Experimental Evidence of The Existence of Such Substance."

Only one patient showed a weight loss of 21 grammes! Not too convincing. The other questions you need to ask are:

exactly when do you determine the precise moment of death to make your calculations?

how accurate were those scales 100 years ago?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Is it true that 21 grams of weight is lost when you die?
« Reply #27 on: 21/05/2007 22:42:57 »
There's a more significant error in the claims - if the body loses weight at the moment of death then the "soul" must be heavier than air, in which case "souls" must sink into the ground rather than float Heavenwards, as is often depicted...

Chris

paul.fr

« Reply #28 on: 22/05/2007 00:50:58 »
There's a more significant error in the claims - if the body loses weight at the moment of death then the "soul" must be heavier than air, in which case "souls" must sink into the ground rather than float Heavenwards, as is often depicted...

Chris

Good point, Chris. But would that only be an error if you assume the persons soul was going to heaven and not hell?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 22/05/2007 00:50:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums