underwater photography, how are the images so clear?

• 4 Replies

paul.fr

How do photographers get clear, undistorted pictures when underwater?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2008 16:47:57 »
Perhaps the equipment, underwater cameras use the water as a lens of a type.. couldn't water act as a lens,it reflects sort of .. maybe I am off Hee hee.. but am wondering if thats possible..???

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2008 21:47:06 »
Usually the waterproof enclosure has a plane (perfectly flat) piece of glass separating the water outside from the air inside. This does not change the focus of the camera in the drastic way that putting a curved surface (such as your naked eye) directly in water.

It's just the same as when you wear a pair of goggles for swimming or a facemask for diving - you have a planar (flat) air/{glass or plastic}/water interface.

Owing to the refractive index of water, and the well-known foreshortening of depth, the photographer will still have to focus about 2/3rds closer than the real distance (i.e. they focus on the apparent depth) -- or whereever it looks sharp.
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 13/01/2008 23:41:35 »
It's really dependent to the amount of stuff floating around in the water. When there is any cloudiness, the pictures are very poor. Lighting has to be just right; flash photos can suffer from back-scatter so your flash sources have to be on long arms, well off-axis..
Most of the best pictures you see are cheats; they are done in tanks with filtered water -in the same way that all the close-up pictures / movies of small mammals and invertebrates are shot indoors in artificial conditions. It's all fitted into the wild shots with clever editing.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/01/2008 16:31:38 »
Thats interesting!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."