What are the lifetimes of the known particles?

• 5 Replies

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
What are the lifetimes of the known particles?
« on: 17/03/2016 20:08:43 »
I am specifically looking for particles with lifetimes akin to that of the proton. I know that a lot of particles decay quickly but how many persist?

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What are the lifetimes of the known particles?
« Reply #1 on: 17/03/2016 20:15:29 »
As far as I know, only protons, electrons, and photons are stable in isolation for long periods of time (more than an hour). Presumably antiprotons and antielectrons have the same half-lives, though they may not stick around very long in our world for other reasons (annihilation)...

Neutrons have a half-life of about 10 minutes, and muons have a half-life of a few milliseconds. I think the more exotic ones have even shorter half-lives...

Neutrinos are a whole different kettle of fish, what with their oscillations and all--I'm not sure whether to say they are very stable (appearing in one form or another for very long periods of time), or very unstable (changing between forms very quickly).

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/03/2016 09:06:39 »
If there is a Graviton (and most physicists think there should be), then it should be stable, or else gravity will have a limited range.

If there is a "Dark Matter Particle", it could be stable.... We just have to discover it, first!

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/03/2016 12:53:49 »
Since gluons are short range then the graviton should not act like a gluon except under extreme conditions. This should indicate that in most circumstances the gravitational field does not beget gravity.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/03/2016 00:17:02 »
Quote from: chiralSPO
Neutrinos are a whole different kettle of fish, what with their oscillations and all...
Neutrinos are described as being in a superposition of three states - they are all three at once, but in different ratios at different points in space.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/03/2016 01:12:21 »
Quote from: chiralSPO
Neutrinos are a whole different kettle of fish, what with their oscillations and all...
Neutrinos are described as being in a superposition of three states - they are all three at once, but in different ratios at different points in space.

That is why I stopped studying particles. It just got so confusing.