What piqued your interest in science?

• 3 Replies

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« on: 28/06/2007 20:05:24 »
Although I took physics from my 1st year in secondary school, I wasn't really that interested until the 3rd year when I got a new teacher named Mr Gupta. One of our first lessons with him was about the structure of the atom. I was fascinated by that and from that point on I have taken an avid interest in all things scientific - but physics in particular.

I didn't study physics in further education as I initially headed for a career in music (something I keep going back to). My next sojourn into academia was in the field of computers, so again my interest in science was put on the back burner.

However, I read a book about relativity & that rekindled my interest in physics & I've been trying to learn more about the field ever since.
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28/06/2007 21:25:30 »
Teaching children and watching their enthusiasm for learning simple things hands on.. I realized I detested Science as a kid because I was taught in a very dry formal manner which I ignored because of its presentation. I like this forum because people are willing to explain things many times to a dopey brain like mine can grasp hold of it. I am comfortable asking a question and if I am wrong about a process , it is explained in a manner that is polite and enlighting.. I like that. and further more I am at the kids level in learning science so I find it fun learning with them so I guess it would be the kids that sparked my need and want to learn more about science as I want to be able to teach them the right things when they ask teacher Karen how does this work or why!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/06/2007 22:52:53 »
Leon Long - an educator as well as a scientist.

I firmly believe that who we are is unalterably linked to those whom we have known, as well as our intrinsic nature. The greater of the two? I do not know.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/06/2007 22:58:51 »
Leon Long - an educator as well as a scientist.

I firmly believe that who we are is unalterably linked to those whom we have known, as well as our intrinsic nature. The greater of the two? I do not know.

Nature v nurture.
Fledgling science site at http://www.sciencefile.org/SF/content/view/54/98/ needs members and original articles. If you can help, please join.