Why Does It Take A While For Eyes To Get Used To Darkness ?

• 3 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Ocular Old Pros,

As hard as I try I can't seem to see through this black square:

[attachment=1073]

Yet wifey tells me there's a cool piccy inside !!..Hmmm..methinks she's just trying to keep me preoccupied to fool me into eating her cooking !!

But, when I turn my light off at night it's very dark !!..and then..after a while things and stuff are revealed to me as my eyes adjust !!

What is this adjustment thing that is happening ?...why does it take a while to adjust ?

If I close my eyes for five minutes before turning the light off, will my eyes be already adjusted ?

Brighten up my day will ya ?...Hey !..it worked !!...I survived dinner !! [:)]

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/09/2007 21:07:21 »
I need a seeing eye dog at night. My eyes never adjust very good. they get some better but not good at all. I can't get out to my car in the driveway unless it is a full moon!

It gets pitch black here at night! So dark, But it makes for wonderful star and sky watching!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2007 00:59:47 »
To become fully dark adjusted / adapted takes 45 minutes. 10 for the cones and another 35 for the rods. If you like, i will post you an experiment when i get home?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/09/2007 01:12:31 »
Pardon me..?? Are the cones and the rods referring to parts of the  the eyeballs as I was worrying about Madonna in your references  LOL!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."