Is it possible to make holograms like those seen in Star Wars?

• 6 Replies

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
In Star Wars you always see holograms everywhere. The Jedi even talk with them, like a telephone. Is this possible? Holograms are very popular in many sci-fi films.
« Last Edit: 14/06/2008 22:05:45 by chris »
Nothing is absolute. It takes a thousand people to make a stereotype, only one to grind it into the dust.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
You can't quite have holograms absolutely anywhere, such as floating in completely open space. You can only see a holographic image within the boundaries of the holographic plate - the image may be in front or behind.

A relatively recent development has been computer-generated animated/moving holograms. I haven't seen them first-hand, but I believe the car industry is sponsoring the development of such systems (for product visualisation). You need extremely high-resolution display-devices (I think one system "tiles" multiple images from an already high-resolution digital-mirror-device) and enormous amounts of computing power.
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
they do have semi holograms, the hey light emiting stuff, and sprinkle water all over it to show the light in 3 dimensional ways, but meanwhile, no you can't talk to these 'holograms'

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
You can have various "volumetric" 3D displays; you normally have a spinning disk or spinning single-turn helix (which sweeps a volume) and then project a modulated light/laser source onto that spinning surface in order to place the light spot in 3D. The technology is fairly simple, if somewhat clumsy. This would be a relatively easy way to do a 3D "talking head".

As a "projection" type display you'll still need a white/diffuse spinning surface, which will be lit up by the ambient light - although there are several tricks you could use to reduce this problem. Alternatively your spinning surface could comprise a 2D array of lightsources, the display being synchronised with the rotation. An LED array could work; an LCD panel would be far too slow.
"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools do not succeed, become scientists." - Schmidt-Nielsen "Memoirs of a curious scientist"

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
I read that in Japan you have a working 3D on some phones (Sony?)
They create it by 'lightning' up pixels oriented to be seen by your left respective right eye.
Thereby creating a 'depth'. The downside is that you have to be inside a very limited perimeter for you to see that 3D. But it's presumably cheap, and so cool:)
--------

But for it to be 'true' 3D it has to be photographed in 3D too?
I don't know if their phones can do that or if it's just some clever manipulations of 2D...
« Last Edit: 27/12/2008 09:46:59 by yor_on »
"BOMB DISPOSAL EXPERT. If you see me running, try to keep up."

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile

Very cool.
and extremely nice.

but where are our masters?
those mice:)

said 43
Awh.