How do orange-peel-powered boats work?

• 3 Replies

Offline Havelock

• First timers
    • View Profile
How do orange-peel-powered boats work?
« on: 23/03/2009 21:38:06 »
Hi) When I was a child we often placed a small parts of orange peel into a pools that left after the rain on a ground. These peels then starts floating in one direction like a small motorized boat and it was a rainbow trail left behind peel, just like film that left from gasoline/petrol on a water surface. Can you explain this somehow, please?)) Well, not about film itself, but about movement))) What is it and how does it work?))
« Last Edit: 06/04/2009 19:25:05 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do orange-peel-powered boats work?
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2009 21:48:16 »
This example uses soap rather than oil (of orange) to alter surface tension ...

http://www.chaosscience.org.uk/pub/public_html//article.php?story=20031223132655581
« Last Edit: 23/03/2009 21:51:49 by RD »

Offline Havelock

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/03/2009 06:59:11 »
Oh, cool) Thank you! So it will happen with oil too? I'll do some experiments)

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 25/03/2009 14:28:58 »
I remember, as a child, seeing the same effect where a little bit of tree-sap of the right type and consistency would produce the same effect.  We'd put a little sap on the end of a small straight twig to make 'speedboats' and if we were lucky, they'd go in a straight line instead of around and around in circles.  They left the same sort of trail behind them.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!