Why do you need the toilet, just before you get home?

• 3 Replies

Bret Turner

Bret Turner  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello fine Naked Scientists,

I absolutely love your podcast, and usually listen while I'm jogging.

I have noticed something about the psychology of having to use the bathroom during a run, and wondered if you knew anything about this or had some insights? I find that no matter how long I've been running whether it's 25 minutes or 2 hours, I often find myself having to poop just as I'm approaching the end of my run, and rarely earlier. It's as if psychologically I realise I'm close to home, which has a toilet, and my brain tells my body that it's about to be able to... relieve itself. This actually also happens when just walking around sometimes, too.

A listener from California,

Bret Turner

What do you think?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08/08/2009 01:34:04 »
It's as if psychologically I realise I'm close to home, which has a toilet, and my brain tells my body that it's about to be able to... relieve itself.
Yup, I agree!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 08/08/2009 02:09:56 »
I have this trouble after a few bevvies down the boozer.

I find going into military mode a good idea.

RIGHT then you 'orrible little thing! Prepare to relieve yourself : w-a-i-t for it........ On my command, by the left........ Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If brains were made of dynamite, I wouldn't have enough to blow my nose.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 08/08/2009 17:38:08 »
I've wondered about this too, and one possibility that occurred to me was that it might be linked to scent-marking.
...And its claws are as big as cups, and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! And Mrs Doyle was telling me it's got magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you! And instead of a mouth it's got four arses!