Why Does Frozen FIZZY Lemonade Defreeze Slower Than Still Lemonade ?

• 1 Replies

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
As a sheepy I of course luff water. Water is my all time favourite watery thing made from 2 parts hydrogen to 1 part oxygen. Out of all the things that are made from this recipe..water is my all time fave

As ewe all well know there are two types of water:

Still water

[attachment=10147]
Water being still

and Fizzy water

[attachment=10145]
Water being not still

Water is great when ewe do stuff like add flavourings to it. Like lemon for instance..or orange..but not sand...sand is a NO..lemons are a yes ! remember that when ewe try to impress your chums with a cocktail on the beach !

Now today I did my usual few miles on the treadmill and what I normally do is have a freezing cold drink to accompany me. I usually put it in the freezer for a good long time because I like my cold drinks abso friggin freezing cold ! !...and I want them cold for the duration (about 70 minutes)...so..today I froze some lemonade !...yep ...(well it's still mostly water right ?)

One thing I noticed......the frozen lemonade remained frozen a lot longer than it's still counterpart !

Why's that then ?..why does frozen fizzy lemonade take longer to de-freeze than frozen still lemonade ?..is there some magic in the bubbles that retains frozen joyness ?

As a firm believer in empirical study I snuk into my neighbours house at 3am this morning and he , without due protestation, willingly allowed me to subdue him again with chloroform. I put him on a chair in his shower cubicle and filled the entire cubicle half with frozen lemonade and half with frozen still lemonade. Ewe can see the result  here !

[attachment=10143]
My Neighbour Being Happy To Help

I am hoping he will record the melting rate from the inside !...hmmmmmmmmm !*sheepy ponders*...not too sure if it was such a good idea !!...............so..no luck there then .

can ewe help ?

If it's true then why does frozen fizzy lemonade defreeze slower than frozen still lemonade. ?

Hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !

Neil
Ignorant About The Nature Of Defrozen Fizzy Stuff
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 07/10/2009 21:35:10 by neilep »
Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Any foreign substance added to the water will cause a freezing point drop. For every mole of foreign particles dissolved in a kilogram of water, the freezing point goes down by roughly 1.8C. Sugar, alcohol, or any chemical salt will also lower the freezing point and melt ice.
http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/saltandfreezing/ofwater.html

So the lemonade, (water + "foreign substance"), will freeze, (go solid), at a lower temperature than pure water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing-point_depression   
« Last Edit: 23/10/2009 14:10:04 by RD »