At what fever temperature should an adult go to the ER ?

• 2 Replies

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

This question stems from the fact that my daughter has been at the hospital for a couple hours now ...I took blankets, etc.... down earlier as she was really sick.. but her fever spiked up to 102 and rising so I called her father to take her in to the Hospital...I am sick myself and could not take her in.. so I am wondering because The acetaminophen was not working...

I was always told children tolerated higher temperatures then adults, but at what temperature, should one take an adult in to the hospital, when the temperature cannot be controlled with a fever reducer.. acetaminophen etc...?

Also What about an infant ..these days...? I always panicked if it was 102 degrees, and I could not get it down..so, when should a parent or caregiver become more concerned and seek hospital or Doctor help?

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline litespeed

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18/01/2010 18:12:44 »
"A fever is defined as a temperature 1 or more above the normal 98.6F. Minor infections may cause mild or short-term temperature elevations. Temperatures of 103 and above are considered high and can signal a potentially dangerous infection. Contact your doctor in case of a high fever or if a lower fever doesn't resolve with simple treatments."

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/tools/symptom/503.html

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/01/2010 06:52:49 »
Thank you for the information and the link litespeed. I appreciate it!

"Life is not measured by the number of Breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."